What type of potting soil do you use?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Just a thought from the blue...What type of potting soil do you use, or have you found works best? I use either MiracleGro garden soil, or MiracleGro cactus mix depending on the plant. Gets the job done pretty well, and it comes pre-fertilized.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Home Despot has an organic brand...Earthgrow, I think? I usually mix in a little compost and some dirt from my side yatd (I have good dirt!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a
Country
Canada
I reuse the same potting soil every year. At the end of the year I leave the roots in the pots and come spring they are pretty much broken down, I just and add nitrogen to it and top it up with garden soil. When I do need to buy, I purchase the cheapest brands and avoid ones labeled moisture control.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Just use my homemade compost

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have to say getting the correct compost is really not easy. I used to swear by our DIY B&Q the biggest bags and when I saw Which? confirm its best buy status, I was very pleased. But no, after they won the accolade, the quality has gone down hill. Twigs and mould and bugs all grew around, over, next to the seeds and in the end, the seedlings died. I had to complain and was told it was government directive that the compost must be enhanced ie. with waste materials (include human excrement :eek::eek:) added in! So now, when I see the word ENRICHED, I know what it means .. I have bought MiracleGro enriched and it has dried up very quickly... So I am none the wiser. But I will follow @johnny canoe 's advice - use old compost, but sterilise it and add fertiliser a bit later or chuck in slow release granules .. Nothing wrong with using used compost if you sterlise it and fertiliser it.

Ask a Question