What to do with all the grape fruit

Reaction score
I have a huge grape fruit tree in my back yard. It produces so many grape fruit! I am the only one in the house that eats them. I can not eat them all! I eat them and juice them. But still there are just so many! I gave lots away, but apparently grape fruit trees are popular here! Please help before I am overwhelmed again this year! What do I do with them?

Reaction score
I know that problem well - what do with a huge amount of grapefruits, when you live in an area where they grow profusely :D
Although I also have a tree that bears an abundant supply of grapefruits every year, I'm not what you would call a great lover of them and try if I can, to give as many away as possible, but I do like grapefruit marmalade, which is what I do with mine - make them into marmalade:)
There are quite a few more ways in which people here, put their excess grapefruits to good use, apart from bottling or canning the fruit in syrup, the favorite way is to make candied peel from the skins, which they often mix with other citrus peels as well, although they taste very nice, its not something that I have done myself, but am told that it is very easy to do. :) Hopefully knowing this, will help a little, towards reducing your overwhelming supply of grapefruit :D

Reaction score
Do you have food pantries in your area that will take donations of produce? Some out by me have refrigerators, and I used to give them my excess tomatos. I even got a tax deduction for it. OK, it was only $7 or so, but I did not turn it down!

Also, do you like peel for cooking? I often use a peeler to get a thin layer of skin off of oranges, and then I dice the peel and dry it. If you like the taste of grapefruit, you could probably do this.

Lastly, do they sell grapefruit at the Farmers Markets? I can TOTALLY see you selling grapefruits every Saturday!!!!!

Oh... edited to add a thought... Can you graft some branches over to oranges and lemons?

Reaction score
Wow, who knew grapefruit was that plentiful. If they're sweet I wouldn't have a problem but they can be a bit sour at times and I would probably be giving them away. I wonder if there would be a way to slow down the amounts of times they bare fruit a year?

Reaction score
Do you have food pantries in your area that will take donations of produce? Some out by me have refrigerators, and I used to give them my excess tomatos. I even got a tax deduction for it. OK, it was only $7 or so, but I did not turn it down!

Also, do you like peel for cooking? I often use a peeler to get a thin layer of skin off of oranges, and then I dice the peel and dry it. If you like the taste of grapefruit, you could probably do this.

Lastly, do they sell grapefruit at the Farmers Markets? I can TOTALLY see you selling grapefruits every Saturday!!!!!

Oh... edited to add a thought... Can you graft some branches over to oranges and lemons?

Yeah, that 's a great idea to sell some of the extra...

Reaction score
I would also suggest selling them at a Farmers' Market. That's where I think you can be the most profitable.

Reaction score

All great ideas on here. I learned on here to look for food pantry groups or church organizations and I feel so good to find places that will use my excess. If all else fails, why not try the market?

Reaction score
I have never thought about bringing them to a food pantry! What a great idea! (y)
I don't think I would do well at a Farmer's Market. I would have to bring my toddler and that would just be crazy!

Reaction score
I think the food pantry idea sounds great. So many people are in dire need these days. Not to mention how good you will feel when you do it!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The food pantry idea sounds excellent to me. I know people there appreciate all the help they can get to make the food they make available go as far as it can. I wish we could grow grapefruit in my area. Grapefruit marmalade, I have never heard of it, sounds interesting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I would love to have so many fresh grape fruits, I love them:) I'm sure that I could eat them every day without getting bored. Have you thought of making grape fruit juice? It would be delicious too. Also, there are many great alcoholic grape fruit drinks:)

Reaction score
I would love to have so many fresh grape fruits, I love them:) I'm sure that I could eat them every day without getting bored. Have you thought of making grape fruit juice? It would be delicious too. Also, there are many great alcoholic grape fruit drinks:)

I'd love to send you some, especially as I have so many that I can't find homes for, because everyone else around me has an abundance too :D
As I mentioned earlier I'm not so keen on them myself, and grapefruit juice is about the only way that I like them, and although its very nice, one can only drink so much grapefruit juice on their own - so you really got my attention when mentioned, that you can make alcoholic grapefruit drinks, especially as that thought, is currently having a great deal more appeal than just plain old grapefruit juice - can't wait to hear more about that :D

Reaction score
There are many recipes over the internet and some of them are really interesting:D
Check out this link for example: http://www.yummly.com/recipes/alcoholic-grapefruit-drinks. I haven't tried any of them yet, because when I buy a grape frut, I eat it immediately, I can't resist the temptation:D

You certainly like grapefruit a great deal more than I do, shame you don't live nearer, cos you'd be in grapefruit heaven at the moment with the amount that I have here :D Thank you for the link, have already had a quick look and will certainly be trying out a few of those recipes, in the very near future - especially those with a sparkling wine base :)

Ask a Question