Grapefruit Tree

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm a fairly novice gardner, decided to take it up and I'm really enjoying it, seeing trees, shrubs, roses and lawn grow....having said that...

I have a grapefruit tree that is starting to scare me, the leaves are turning yellow and drying out...

any suggestions would greatly be appreciated...

I live in zone 8b and the plant in a cointainer under a covered patio and I usually give it a nice soak once a week and light water during the middle of the week, I have a Meyer lemon right next to it and that one is doing well...

Attached are some pictures

Attachments

• IMG_0246.JPG
    IMG_0246.JPG
    241.1 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0247.JPG
    IMG_0247.JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_0248.JPG
    IMG_0248.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_0249.PNG
    IMG_0249.PNG
    99.5 KB · Views: 204
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Those pics look like a severe case of either underwatering or overwatering, probably underwatering. How long have the plants been in those containers?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Been in Containers for a few months now
Then that might be the problem. Not that being root bound seriously affects citrus but that watering becomes very difficult. If it were me I would repot into containers at least twice as big. If you plan to keep your trees in containers you will eventually need 1/2 whisky barrel containers in size. If repotting into larger containers is not possible at this time water your trees from the bottom up until water stands on the surface. You never know if the plants roots are being sufficiently watered if you water from the top down even though water pours out of the drain holes. Also, being in small containers your temperatures and the plastic containers are not conducive to plant growth.

Ask a Question