What sorta hobbies & interests d'you guys have?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Since this thread has been revived, I will post. I enjoy breeding and showing Persian cats, I dabble in photography (but am a rank amateur), I like to bake, especially competitively , but don't do it much any more due to our diet restrictions, love to read and have also tried my hand at writing articles. Been published a couple of times. I used to decorate cakes and also paint with acrylics and oils.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I have been known to write children's books. Not sure hoe many are on sale at present, waiting for the next one to be edited.
Otherwise, by the time I have finished gardening I am too tired t do anything else.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
I do not know how I had time to do any thing before I retired. I rather enjoyed my job as a automotive trouble shooter. Flying off to dealers and and having to fend off the dealers objections and repair a car for one of their coustomers who was pressing (GM, FORD and CHRYLSER) to buy the lemon back.
Had a pretty good sucess rate of saving 80 some odd percent of them.

But I fished in the summer on vacations, hunted in the fall and winter.
Make many of my own fishing rods and some lures, tie flies. Reload my own ammo for my rifles and hand guns.

Later in life collected Massey Harris tractors. But that was a lot of work when I got older so even though istill have them I do not show them any longer.

Instead i have and show a older 1985 Buick at a car show just about every week end.

:D Al

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I thought we'd done this.

I've a few interests other than gardening.

I kept Japanese koi for over 30 years in a 3000 gall 5ft deep pool in our garden. But due to serious leak we closed it down last year and paved it over. The fish went to a good home.

I play golf three times a week, weather permitting.

I like "Film Noir."

I've two vintage vinyl jukeboxes. The selections are 50/50/70/80s pop, jazz standards, Doo-wop, Motown and R&B.

I'm into vintage hi-fi. I've also two vintage jukebox wall boxes that play mp3s through my hi-fi.

I play tenor sax (badly)

I play a Yamaha Tyros 5 keyboard (not as badly).

There you go.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
One of my pastimes is watching videos of golden retrievers because we have them.
For you
8005f66.png

Reaction score
Country
Spain
I´m catching up on things I´ve always wanted to do better, guitar, banjo, ukulele, double bass, tenor sax -- and slowly learning Spanish.
Poco a poco.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I´m catching up on things I´ve always wanted to do better, guitar, banjo, ukulele, double bass, tenor sax -- and slowly learning Spanish.
Poco a poco.
HaHa! A lady that cleans my stores cannot speak English, only Spanish. We tear it up with the cell phones though using Google Translate. A engineer fellow I know imports a great deal of parts from Asia. He tells me he has been to at least 70 countries and swears by the "Say Hi" app.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Spiritual awakening, an awakening of a dimension of reality beyond the confines of the ego. There's more to this life, than just what I see, think or feel. This awakening will occur when, for whatever reason, the ego somehow "let's go" so that a Higher Self or Spirit can arise from within.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Spain
I´ve used apps like that on a tablet in extremis DM, but I don´t use a smartphone anymore. It felt more like a collar and lead with microphone and camera attached, so I threw it away.
One thing I´ve realised about learning a language is that communication is around 80% non-verbal, and without that essential percentage, the rest is on difficult ground. A smile, eye contact and appropriate body language are, I have found, the vital foundation of conversation. Fortunately I find the locals are delighted when any English person attempts the language, (perhaps because many don´t bother to learn).

oneeye, you remind me of C S Lewis´ words, ¨I do not have a soul, I am a soul: I have a body.¨
I agree that there´s more to ´reality´ than squeezes through our 5 senses, and that has always fuelled my curiosity.
I think Planck was right to see matter as derivative of consciousness, it makes sense to me.
My black and white cat and I are about to take in the morning sun down by the compost heap.
Sometimes we sit and think, and sometimes we just sit.

Ask a Question