What sorta hobbies & interests d'you guys have?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Aside from gardening, of course. I'm into aviation more than a little, might get my pilots license this summer. I also take apart engines for fun, still working on getting them back together properly tho lol. I know my way around computers pretty well too, got myself a decent gaming PC and errything.

I'm into pretty much anything that involves working with your hands. ADHD means I pretty much always have to be doing something, so I bounce from interest to interest and hobby to hobby a lot.

Fuzzygreenery

The Noodle Hamster
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Writing is one of my best hobbies. I write and have written a lot of different things; what I can come out with never ceases to amaze my friends :giggle:
From a really young age (about 5 or 6) I always wanted to get into gardening. My parents and grandparents used to grow a lot of things when they were younger and I always thought it was so cool. Only now I'm really starting to get into it because the world has come such a long way in supporting the art of nature and protecting plants as well as animals from extinction. Plants also purify my house's air, so there's that!
Thirdly I enjoy caring for animals. Thinking of balancing a career between writing and animal care when I'm old enough to consider employment. I have three cats, two dogs, a parrot and a hamster at the minute. Used to be four cats and two hamsters but the fourth cat died in March 2013 and I had to replace my two hamsters due to an incident with the cats...:cautious:
Another hobby of mine is cooking. Now, I don't do it as often as I'd like to but there's not much to cook with from scratch in the house. That's why I'm trying to grow my own fruit and vegetables before autumn hits us; but no doubt by then I'll be starting more seedlings.
A most engaging and long lasting interest of mine is computers. I've been using computers since I was about 4 years old (yes, it was a Dora the Explorer toy laptop but I learned!!) and I'm currently taking computer science as one of my high school options. Surprisingly, I'm terrible at programming but get the best grades in it so maybe I know more than I think I do! :geek:

I've seen a lot of young people getting into aviation the past few years. It sounds quite fun and scary at the same time, though. I've only been on a plane once in my life, never mind building an engine! :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I only ever almost crashed once. Well, twice, but the second time wasn't 100% my fault.
I'm also taking Computer science, probably the easiest class I've ever done. The robotics units are fun as hell, I built a machine that basically senses the magnetic fields set up by an electric current, and fades a series of LEDs on/off, depending on the current. Rigged it up with an electric motor I pulled out of a drill and by golly it worked, I made a load sensor. I'm pretty proud of that, definitely wasn't easy lol. Programming isn't really my strong suit, but I get by well enough to pass. I've a terrible habit of overthinking issues. Any specific programming languages you've learned?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil
What sorta hobbies & interests d'you guys have?
There are a few things I like to do, in descending order:
  • Computer programming; and many other things related to computer and software; especially when it is for a practical purpose.
  • Cooking; I started cooking for "survival" then I developed an interest for it as well; But nothing fancy, I just like to prepare decent tasting food I can eat. And desserts, I am more interested in desserts but I do not do it as often as I would like (yummy!).
  • Gardening, plants in general; I have an interest especially on how plants work; and obviously, harvesting is a lot of fun too, it is my favorite moment.
  • Handmade works (braiding, drawing...); especially when it is something I may use in the real world. I don't consider myself an artist; but I am a kind of perfectionist then it is really hard to make something I would call above average.
  • Photography; I am not a photographer like @JBtheExplorer but I like to take some photos, and editing them. Like almost everything, I am more interested in the scientific part/details.
I like studying English very much as well, but I stopped when I started being able to chat with other people and being understood. But I still have to learn how to talk, at the moment I can only read and write as my pronunciation is certainly below average, actually I am not sure if I could understand you.

An interesting aspect I found in programming is that I can pick a subject I have no interest and then bring it to programming in some way, and it kinda forces me to learn it, lol.

Thank you, people!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I only have 2 hobbies other than gardening, I breed Endler guppies ( Poecilla wingel ) also in the middle of writing a Gluten and lactose free desserts cook book.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Mess around with html, a bit of bootstrap, a bit of responsive web design.. Never master them though.. But fun.. especially when you see animations on the screen..

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Aside from gardening, of course.

Habitat restoration
That's basically what my garden is, does it count? I'm constantly thinking about ways to continuously improve the habitat I've created.

Camping & Hiking
Absolutely love camping, mostly because it means hours and hours of hiking in nature, as well as canoeing, biking, and submerging myself in nature. Tons of fun!

Photography
My #1 hobby, mainly because I can easily combine it with my previously mentioned hobbies. I love being able to show people photos of insects, animals, plants, and habitat that need to be recognized and protected. I hope the more people understand how quickly we're losing so many unique things, the more people will want to do something about it.

Gaming
This was a bigger hobby for me when I was younger. Now it's just a way to pass time in Winter or when it's rainy. I have a very small selection of games that I play. I like games that include exploration. I also love racing games.

Music
I listen to music all the time, so I consider that a hobby. I'm listening to it right now. I combine it with everything I do. I listen to just about every genre. A lot of people are stuck on specific genres, but I judge a song based on the song itself, not who it's by or what genre it is. My itunes library includes artists like Eminem, Tupac, Brooks & Dunn, Metallica, The Scorpions, Kid Cudi, Carrie Underwood, Bob Seger, Pink Floyd, Phillip Phillips, The Beatles, Whole Wheat Bread, Garth Brooks, AC/DC, Miley Cyrus, and literally hundreds of other artists and bands. I even have some of The Lion King score by Hans Zimmer. Oh, and I used to produce music, too, but that's a story for another day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well, as my name implies, I'm into Corvettes. I've been collecting models since I was a kid and am fortunate enough to have 2 full size; one built, one bought. I generally like tinkering on anything and everything car related (or anything I get to use my tools on really :D) and recently had my Grandfather hand down his 36 Plymouth to me.

I'm also a pilot, that's also my profession, but if I didn't do it professionally I would more than likely do it on the hobby level.

Baking...weird, I know. I kind of enjoy baking, I feel guilty about it though because it makes me fat :(

Lastly, but most significantly and importantly, traveling with and just generally playing with my kids and family! We have a 1 year old and an almost 4 year old.

I tend to be into a lot and once I get started on something I have to see it through, so I end up with a lot of projects/hobbies. My wife joked that in one weekend I went from baking a cake (Her birthday), to changing diapers/playing superhero to taking down a tree outback (best lumberjack pose :cool:).

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@vette-kid You sound like an interesting character .. and an all-rounder ..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
She can have my ex who suffers constantly from information overloads.. whilst I am the one with pies everywhere .. and good at nothing! LOL!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Other than spending time with my kids and grandkids. Im into riding and working on Harleys. Hunting fishing and bourbon. Yes definitly a fan of bourbon.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I do dress making, started doing it at secondary school. In the 60s always messing around on a old treadle machine, for my 11th birthday mom bought me an electric machine. Always making tops, skirts and dresses.I did a lot of knitting, i got very good at picture knitting for my son. I make cakes.Once i made my son a birthday cake and i copied a picture of the ghost busters for the iceing.He was very impressed and my Hubby. I used to do drawings of people and the pet dog.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Anime: Bleach, Naruto,& Boruto
Manga: Boruto

Gaming: Soda Crush. I used to play call of duty PC alot was semi-pro never got any where with it though, but got called a cheater alot getting 100kills and 14deaths pure skill. It sure was fun making youtube videos. But now I stopped playing them. Internet is terrible here and pc parts expensive.

Adobe Photoshop CS4: I make my own tablet/phone/pc/facebook backgrounds, and forum signatures, website banner ads.

I used to design php platinum nuke and vb skins. But i dont know how to do the coding. But I can do forum images making them web 2.0 style which is like a glossy like shine effect or basically how this website is skinned. I can show some pictures tomorrow. It has been years since I have done one.

Website installs: I used to do these for free because it only took 30mins to 2hours. Other times people would buy me the $15 expansions for call of duty black ops.

Ask a Question