What made you start gardening

Reaction score
Is it a form of therapy or did you do it to save money on the food. For me its a little bit of both.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I fell in love with gardening when my boyfriend gave me my first miniature rose. Before it happened, I had had absolutely no idea that taking care of plants can be so relaxing and pleasant.
Another great thing about having a garden is that you can grow your own vegetables in it and you can be sure that they weren't treated with any harmful pesticides.

Reaction score
My parents and my grandparents gardened and my grandparents also farmed. Love doing it and loved running about their gardens in the summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The threat of getting my butt spanked if I didn't get in the garden and start pulling weeds
This doesn't sound like a nice beginning;) I used to pull weeds when I was a kid too, but the only reason why I did it is that my aunt paid me for every bucket of weeds. I was a greedy child:cool:

Reaction score
I've been homebrewing for several years and three years back I decided I wanted to try growing hops. I became addicted and starting trying to grow whatever I could in a high-desert on a college budget.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've been homebrewing for several years and three years back I decided I wanted to try growing hops. I became addicted and starting trying to grow whatever I could in a high-desert on a college budget.
Were the hops successful? I've never tried to grow them

Reaction score
Were the hops successful? I've never tried to grow them
Yeah. I got a small harvest the first year, second year they grew stronger but I was out of town for work for all but a month in 2013 so eventually it caught up to me and they struggled, and this year they are seriously rocking, even after getting pummeled to near oblivion by hail in early May.

They require different things than other plants do but wow are they hearty. Their containers were solid, frozen blocks in January/February and now they are probably a month away from flowering. They can handle any amount of sunlight and really only need to be watered once a week, maaaaybe two if it's really hot.

Reaction score
Started landscaping for stress relief but now it's become somewhat of an obsession. Had to take last year off due to health and man was I depressed. At any given time I've got 1 active project and 4 others waiting. My wife said you know it's bad when the employees at Lowes and the local nurseries knows you by name and asks where you've been (travel a lot for business) if they have not seen me for two weeks.

Reaction score
I always helped in the garden when I was a child. We had a large vegetable patch and lots of fruit. I loved being involved in taking care of everything, and then being able to eat the fruits of my labour! It was always just a part of my life, so when I moved into my own first home, I just carried on the trend.

Reaction score
MY family owned a flower nursery so i was always hopping around the garden from a tender age doing this and that and i guess it just sticks with me throughout the years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Our family has had a vegetable garden for generations. The ladies always had flower gardens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
A torn miniscus. My wife had the green thumb and had the garden planted. She had knee surgery and the garden had to survive me. We came to some agreements.

Ask a Question