What is this pot for?

Reaction score
i'm still pretty well set on the mint idea. i'm just waiting for the mint to grow some before i try it.

temp hanging spot for me to work with it. for the moment i'm thinking if i get it together it will hang in my gazebo project when i get it (and the gazebo) a little more done

exteriors002-2_zpsf2b1b84a.jpg

and trying to grow the mint

exteriors001-4_zps0d4d4011.jpg

the little pots are some leftover seeds from another project, and the larger pots are from where i got some more a couple weeks later (a 4 seed variety pack someone on ebay sells for about $5).

so the hope is once the plants get an inch or so high (not sure exactly), they'll be easy enough to work with. i mean to try and get them root and all out of the little pots and stick the root through the bottom holes, and fill in from the top to hold them there. then just work my way up as the plants get the right size to transplant. i don't mean to try and fill all the holes, but hopefully enough to give it a filled out look.

so i'm just waiting on the mint.

It looks pretty cool now that you showed it actually hung up. It's going to look lovely when all the plants start growing out of it. I hope you'll post photos when you're done planting in it. I think you made a good find there. It's an interesting pot.

Reaction score
i'd like to say "slowly, but surely", but so far the only sure thing about it is that it's going slowly

exteriors001_zps62edfdec.jpg

about two weeks of transplanting, including the big one on the bottom. i pulled it up from somewhere else in the yard. so far they're all thriving, it's going slow though. it's supposed to be 4 types of mint (spear, pepper, lemon, hairy mountain) but it's mainly pepper and spearmint.

at this rate and considering the pot gets wider around up to the halfway point, i'm feeling like i'll be lucky to be halfway up the pot by the end of summer. at that point i'm going to see what happens next spring i think. if the plants can somehow find their way back out of the holes naturally next spring, i'll pick up where i left off. since plants naturally grow upward (even these after a day or so turn upward) i don't know if they'll just try to grow up out of the top next spring and i'd have to start over. i wouldn't.

or probaly i'll try bringing it in the house come fall and see if i can keep the already started part going, i guess, and see what i have next spring.

so, slowly, but... well.. just slowly...

Reaction score
i'd like to say "slowly, but surely", but so far the only sure thing about it is that it's going slowly

exteriors001_zps62edfdec.jpg

about two weeks of transplanting, including the big one on the bottom. i pulled it up from somewhere else in the yard. so far they're all thriving, it's going slow though. it's supposed to be 4 types of mint (spear, pepper, lemon, hairy mountain) but it's mainly pepper and spearmint.

at this rate and considering the pot gets wider around up to the halfway point, i'm feeling like i'll be lucky to be halfway up the pot by the end of summer. at that point i'm going to see what happens next spring i think. if the plants can somehow find their way back out of the holes naturally next spring, i'll pick up where i left off. since plants naturally grow upward (even these after a day or so turn upward) i don't know if they'll just try to grow up out of the top next spring and i'd have to start over. i wouldn't.

or probaly i'll try bringing it in the house come fall and see if i can keep the already started part going, i guess, and see what i have next spring.

so, slowly, but... well.. just slowly...

That's actually starting to look good, especially the big plant at the bottom. It looks like you're off to a good start so far.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Philphine, I love the idea, it looks great! I really hope that the mint will find its way back out of the holes next spring. It's such a unique decoration.

Ask a Question