What is this pot for?

Reaction score
exteriors001-4_zpsa8eff2e7.jpg

something i picked up a few years back for a couple bucks. i move it around and come across it every once in a while, but never really knew what it was for. it has four bigger holes in the top that i've alway thought it might hang from (which also made me think it might be a lamp and not a pot).

so i come across it again, and i figured i'm on a garden forum now, maybe someone knows.

so do ya? thanks.

Reaction score
It would make lovely designs on the floor as a lamp shade. How big is it? Does look like a lamp shade to me too. You could also use it as a pot holder if it is big enough. Pretty.. I was just thinking I may want to varnish it and get it a metallic look :)

Reaction score
it's about 14" high, and maybe 9" around it's widest point.

at the moment i'm thinking if i could get something vine-ish to grow out of the holes. or a some mint from a variety pack i got. maybe try to get it to the size of small planting in a regular pot, and try to stick them in the holes. i just thought of that. mint hanging in the air might release more scent maybe. i think that's what i'll try, unless i find out it's for something that could maybe be more interesting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Something vine-ish is just what I was thinking. It has so many holes that it would be ideal for a plant that spreads like a vine or for several small plants that could bush out a bit and cover the surface and make it look like a topiary. It's rather an unusual looking thing - maybe it's just meant to be decorative?

Reaction score
it could be just decorative, but it seems like i have the faintest recollection of seeing one used as something somewhere. that's why i'm feeling pretty sure the larger holes at the top were for something to loop into for hanging.

in any event, i think i have an idea set with the mint. just need to get some new mint plantings started.

Reaction score
How about ivy? I just love variegated English ivy. I have been trying to grow them in all shapes and sizes. You could try flowering vines too. They would look pretty stunning on that jar. Light it up from inside:)
Another idea would be to stuff the holes with moss and grow succulent in different colors shapes and sizes blending them aesthetically as you go. There is so much you could do with it

Reaction score
gonna stick with the mint idea i think. i've already got some seeds i had started and picked up a few more off ebay i'm waiting to recieve and get planted.

Reaction score
Wow, that is an interesting pot! I would fill it with dirt and plant the mint leaves if you like mint. Is it very heavy? You could leave it on the ground and put a large candle in it.

Reaction score
it's got a little weight to it. filling it with dirt will add more, but ithink it should be ok.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I used to have something similar to this, and it was for a candle. Mine was not that heavy, and it was hung from cords tied at the top. The candle shone out through the little holes on the side, and it was really pretty on the porch at nite.
Yours looks heavier, and even though it does look like it was meant to hang, it looks like it would be pretty heavy to be hanging, especially if it was full of dirt and plants.
I do think it would look pretty with mint or vines growing it the little holes, it there are sure a lot of them to fill !

Reaction score
That piece is lovely. I agree with earlier posts that a vine would work well in the pot. You could hang it up outside once the vine starts to grow for a dramatic effect.

Reaction score
Looks interesting. Being a big flower man I think I would thread a thin, but sturdy chain through the top to turn it into a hanging basket. Plant all the holes with different coloured Trailing Lobellia and maybe a bush type small Geranuim in the top.

Another option I guess is a variety of herbs planted through the holes.

Reaction score
Did you decide what to do with it? Post a picture here of the final outcome.. I think many of us would be interested to know how you worked around that very interesting post of yours.

Reaction score
i'm still pretty well set on the mint idea. i'm just waiting for the mint to grow some before i try it.

temp hanging spot for me to work with it. for the moment i'm thinking if i get it together it will hang in my gazebo project when i get it (and the gazebo) a little more done

exteriors002-2_zpsf2b1b84a.jpg

and trying to grow the mint

exteriors001-4_zps0d4d4011.jpg

the little pots are some leftover seeds from another project, and the larger pots are from where i got some more a couple weeks later (a 4 seed variety pack someone on ebay sells for about $5).

so the hope is once the plants get an inch or so high (not sure exactly), they'll be easy enough to work with. i mean to try and get them root and all out of the little pots and stick the root through the bottom holes, and fill in from the top to hold them there. then just work my way up as the plants get the right size to transplant. i don't mean to try and fill all the holes, but hopefully enough to give it a filled out look.

so i'm just waiting on the mint.

Reaction score
Good on you. You would have a really minty, fresh smelling gazebo. I am sure that it looks really good and provides you with all the mint you need. I just cut some mint from my garden this morning and used them in my cooking. It is lovely to have fresh herbs anytime.

Ask a Question