What is this plant and what food does it need

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all

We moved into a new house a couple of weeks ago and have this mystery plant in the garden in several places.

The leaves have turned yellow, on some of them they are still green in places. It looks to me to be similar to a yucca but more spindly.

Can anyone identify it please and give me some advice to help bring it back to full health?

The soil here is clay.

Thanks

Aaron
IMG_20211028_091540837.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
This looks like one of Australia's native Palm-lilies (Cordyline spp.). They are native farther north in Queensland but can grow well in Melbourne's mild temperate climate. I can't say which species, but C. fruticosa, C. petiolaris, and C. rubra are all likely possibilities.
Cordyline cultivars are noted for a wide variety of unusual leaf colors, so some of the golden-green color could be natural lutescence.
However now in Spring, is a great time to fertilize this copse with a complete, general purpose fertilizer. Also mulch the plants with fine bark or wood chips to begin to improve the soil. Plant to fertilize and mulch this yearly. This is also a good time to groom away dead foliage and remove dead trunks which should make the copse more presentable.

Ask a Question