What is killing my Avocado?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all, have an indoor Avodcado I've been growing about 3-4 months.

I have it potted, in a medium-sun window, along with a grow light I run during the night.

Currently, it's developing areas on it's beautiful, glossy leaves that are entirely black, dried and withered, and I can't figure out whether it's some sort of blight, or a result of too much salt buildup, or what.

Included pics. Any advice is apprecciated, as I have another avocado I'm growing as well and want to keep these around for years to come!

Attachments

• 20171117_092123.jpg
    20171117_092123.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 310
  • 20171117_092101.jpg
    20171117_092101.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 273
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Most problems as shown in the pictures are from staying to damp and/or not enough sunlight.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just drilled some holes into the bottom of my pot for drainage. That should deal with dampness. Would a sunlight issue be possible if it's hyper localized like that on just certain parts of the leaf?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just drilled some holes into the bottom of my pot for drainage. That should deal with dampness. Would a sunlight issue be possible if it's hyper localized like that on just certain parts of the leaf?
Leaf scorch doesn't look like that, but, I don't think it is a light issue anyway as the new growth looks good. I think the problem was too much water too often and especially if there weren't enough drain holes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
UPDATE: after adding drainage, it's getting worse :/

Attachments

• _DSC4214.JPG
    _DSC4214.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 234
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
UPDATE: after adding drainage, it's getting worse :/
The affected leaves will turn from black to brown to dried and crumbly. The affected leaves will not resume their original health. The roots were affected and it will take time for the plant to regain its health. Just keep it slightly damp and give it time. Wait until the soil is DRY about 2 inches deep, and then water until saturated, then let it dry 2 inches deep again. What size is the plant and what size is the pot? And don't fertilize

Reaction score
Country
United States
The affected leaves will turn from black to brown to dried and crumbly. The affected leaves will not resume their original health. The roots were affected and it will take time for the plant to regain its health. Just keep it slightly damp and give it time. Wait until the soil is DRY about 2 inches deep, and then water until saturated, then let it dry 2 inches deep again. What size is the plant and what size is the pot? And don't fertilize

Plan is about 16 inches tall. Pot is about 11 inch diameter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Plan is about 16 inches tall. Pot is about 11 inch diameter.
What has happened is that your plant has root rot from being too wet too long. If it were mine I would take it out of its container and then repot with new soil.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What has happened is that your plant has root rot from being too wet too long. If it were mine I would take it out of its container and then repot with new soil.

Thanks, Chuck. That's precisely what I'll do, then. Any fertilizer / fungicide or anything I should add? Or just straight-up potting soil with vermiculite / perlite to combat overmoisture?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, Chuck. That's precisely what I'll do, then. Any fertilizer / fungicide or anything I should add? Or just straight-up potting soil with vermiculite / perlite to combat overmoisture?
I would just use straight potting soil. I know of nothing that will fix root rot except dryness and time. But, never ever let an avacado go COMPLETELY dry. Just keep the root area SLIGHTLY damp.

Ask a Question