I'm killing it :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b: -15°F to -10°F
Country
United States
I don't remember what this tree is called but I do remember spending a pretty penny on it a couple years ago. Its slowly been dieing for about a year. At first it was because I was watering it too much. One of the trunks became mushy it was so bad. That's the one you can see I cut off at the bottom. The other cut off at the top was just one that lost all leaves. After that it started perking up a bit. But then I found out that my new kitten was peeing in it...... I changed the soil and replanted it and put it on top of my filing cabinet out of her reach. But it's just loosing leaves right and left. What should I do? Can it be saved?
0629171513.jpg
0629171513a.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b: -15°F to -10°F
Country
United States
It is dracena.

If you cut back by half it should reshoot, not too much water though.

How often should I be watering it? I let it get completely dry before I water it now and I only give it a little. Also when you say cut it back by half do you mean half way down the trunk? Thank you for your response!!

Reaction score
Just cut into the bare stem ,have just looked at mine and can see where it was cut about 4 inches up from the bottom, and has 3 strong stems now.

Got to be brave.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Probably just shock from repotting. I just repotted mine about a month ago, and it lost a fair amount of its leaves. Its recovered by now though. That said, Plant Doctor probably knows better than me on the subject.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
your kitten peeing on it, so cute. I love cats. anyway. get some two sided packing clear tape and run strips across the pot, the cat will not like the sticky tape and learn to stay off. the other thing, I am guessing there is a drainage hole on it. the other thing, do you know the origin of this plant? where it normally thrives, that is a clue of what it likes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I put flat smooth rocks in the ones my cats bothered with and it seemed to work. They liked to eat the soil. I had to leave all my plants behind when I moved to the USA and it seems they grew out of that habit and I haven't had to do it with my new plants. The rocks look really pretty especially after watering and if you live near a beach/stream of some kind you can gather them for free, just clean them before use.

Ask a Question