what is a recommended general plant food/helper that can help my plants and garden grow?

Reaction score
Country
United States
And of course, if you want to be daring and unconventional, human urine is remarkably similar to miracle-gro.
Don't believe all that 'it will burn the plants!!!' hysteria. That's just panicked ignorance ...about both miracle-gro and urine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
And of course, if you want to be daring and unconventional, human urine is remarkably similar to miracle-gro.
Don't believe all that 'it will burn the plants!!!' hysteria. That's just panicked ignorance ...about both miracle-gro and urine.
Haha I had a fellow come by selling me a interest in a venture and that need came up as it will do. Off my back deck I directed him to observe the needs of my new compost pile and had to explain that urine is a subtle fertilizer. I think he felt closer to the world for having contributed in some small way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Cows digest their diet of grass very thoroughly for animals of their size, but the bacteria in their manure needs to continue to break it down for another 5 years or so before it's broken down far enough for plants to use.
In all seriousness, I found in my own mind a point of agreement with you. You are in fact correct, even if you are only parroting the idea of someone you respect, and I want to acknowledge what may be at the least one bombshell idea behind your 5 year plan. There are some chemicals that cause what is referred to as killer compost. Your time element infers that which saddens me to see common knowledge moving to incorporate such industrial reality.

picloram, clopyralid, and aminopyralid

A few names that would influence you to use 5 years as a safe time frame. I apologize for not being able to see your world more clearly.

Having said that, 5 year old manure is useless as a manure compost. It will have no larger values of amino acids and has become nothing more than the compost of a dried twig or mown grass. I would spread soybean meal instead.

@Chuck what do you think?

Last edited:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Cows digest their diet of grass very thoroughly for animals of their size, but the bacteria in their manure needs to continue to break it down for another 5 years or so before it's broken down far enough for plants to use.
Come walk through my pastures sometime. Observe how the grass is much greener and thicker and vigorous around the manure piles. Then tell me how it takes 5 years for plants to use. Sorry, that dog don't hunt!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
d
Come walk through my pastures sometime. Observe how the grass is much greener and thicker and vigorous around the manure piles. Then tell me how it takes 5 years for plants to use. Sorry, that dog don't hunt!!
I put 27 bags of black kow manure compost in my garden 2 years ago. 1 cubic yard. Those chemicals did not kill it, they stunted it. The first year was really bad, The 3rd replanting of tomatoes was in 20 grow bags of 7 gallon size. Its real enough for me. This year was better, but obviously not healed. That crap should not be allowed. If its mostly gone by now, thats 2.5 years so yeah, 5 years for clean is right on point in my opinion.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I put 27 bags of black kow manure compost in my garden 2 years ago. 1 cubic yard. Those chemicals did not kill it, they stunted it. The first year was really bad, The 3rd replanting of tomatoes was in 20 grow bags of 7 gallon size. Its real enough for me. This year was better, but obviously not healed. That crap should not be allowed. If its mostly gone by now, thats 2.5 years so yeah, 5 years for clean is right on point in my opinion.
This was because of picloram residue?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
This was because of picloram residue?
I never had it tested but the stair stepped cellular growth in the leaves is a indication of a *pyralid family of chemicals. I ran across some youtube videos with a fair description and examples of the leaf growth and growth habits over time and decided my garden had gotten zapped.

I would grow test before I used outside compost again.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I never had it tested but the stair stepped cellular growth in the leaves is a indication of a *pyralid family of chemicals. I ran across some youtube videos with a fair description and examples of the leaf growth and growth habits over time and decided my garden had gotten zapped.

I would grow test before I used outside compost again.
That's dreadful. Did you contact the company to complain?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
They knew. Black Kow disappeared off the shelves for a year. Not much anyone could do.

"...Dow’s own data showing a half-life of up to 533 days."

One detail about a grow test, it better last longer than 2 weeks or the stuff will fool you. Everything will look great when it is young and then WHAM! You run around wondering what you did to it for a while.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I KNOW you and @Meadowlark are correct. Fresh ruminant manure without all these modern chemicals will not harm plants. Think back to the days of the gigantic buffalo herds. If fresh crap was harmful in any way there wouldn't be any buffalo. As for the time frame of 5 years I would say it is about correct for soil to return to its, more or less, natural state after being subjected to picloram and its cousins unless you take measures to remedy the problem. And don't forget, it isn't just the manure that is affected, it is also the actual hay that is also contaminated.

Last edited:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I'm confused. I didn't understand this statement "Cows digest their diet of grass very thoroughly for animals of their size, but the bacteria in their manure needs to continue to break it down for another 5 years or so before it's broken down far enough for plants to use." to be about picloram???

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, of course, the rate that cow manure decomposes and picloram contamination are two separate issues.
Though both will be matters of concern to those who use manure as fertilizer.

Ask a Question