Life in general.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I expected retirement to be a great deal better than having to go to work and also expected to be free to do as I like?

In reality; for over 18 months the rain has seldom let up and it's another wet black hole today; any nutrients in our soil must now be at the valley bottom; I'm unable to work in the garden without getting a soaking and even walking down to the workshop can be a pain.

A typical start to the day;

DSC00428.JPG
More rubbish..JPG

After watching the clock go around and "Could not fix the problem" everything works fine? Please contact your cable operator" no thanks can't be bothered.

About a week ago a parcel was delivered; when opened it was a very long fish keep net that I hadn't ordered or paid for; opening up a chat line with Hermes the courier who delivered the parcel put me in touch with a logistics company in Kettering; I emailed this company with a reference supplied by Hermes; could I please send a picture of the SKU details; then could you please send a picture of the contents which I've just done. I think it's one of these and I'm doing my best to be helpful in returning it because to keep it would be stealing; it's not mine and not paid for (by me). Everyone I'm in contact with about this net are also trying to resolve the problem so I'll ride it out;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crab-Fis...e-Trap-Net-Bait-Fishing-Cage-UK-/302449748319

Yesterday Bron and I visited Meadowhall Shopping Centre in appalling weather conditions;

DSC00475.JPG

last Saturday more heavy rain at Rufforth Auto Jumble in York. I tried rotavating the top of the mountain but the rotavator bogged down. The snow and rain flatten our daffodils which I really suffered in planting late last year in freezing conditions.

This morning I'd like to wander down to the workshop to do a bit of woodturning but its so miserable; cold and wet outside; once in the workshop and wrapped up like an Eskimo I can put the workshop heating on but the workshop takes a while to warm up and every tool I pick up is cold. I'm running heating and power bills up just trying to keep warm and to see what I'm doing. If we had severe short winters we had as kids 60 years ago followed by long hot summers then I wouldn't feel as bad but as I say this dire weather has run now for over 18 months and I'm sick of it; next week the forecast is for dry weather but I'm not holding my breath because I don't trust the weather forecast.

Sorry to start the day like this but it's a normal day for me; I'm past the moaning stage I just get on with what I can do rather than what I want to do; I can't help others errors or mistakes and I can't do anything to influence the weather; it's now 9:17am in the black hole and I refuse to let everything negative upset me; I'm going to wander into the workshop after a brew with a smile on my face after all I'm still alive and have a lot to be happy about; smile and the world smiles with you? :):)(y)

KInd regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was about to wander down to the workshop when Dale our postman has just delivered a parcel;

https://www.anchorsupplies.com/review/product/list/id/4657/

I ordered and paid for a riot helmet to use for my safety whilst woodturning as seen at the link above.

Here's what arrived;

DSC00482.JPG

Two white shirts. It comes in threes so what's next?

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Colin, the weather man probably gives sunny forecasts just to keep people in your area from jumping off buildings.

Tell your supplier that a helmet and shirts are both useful items but hardly interchangeable.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Colin, we ordered a pistol crossbow and got two Yoga mats. Sometimes the post is the biggest surprise of the day!
(We use a welder's helmet when turning--good vision with the large mask)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Upsy; I'd love to be your neighbour but I wouldn't wish Blackie on you or your area it wouldn't be fair and you're much too nice to be upset or slowly drowned. :D(y)

Thanks Silentrunning; I've not yet received replies about the fishing net ot shirts delivered in error; however I've now had time to look at the shirts and find a delivery note enclosed; there's a guy in Leeds expecting these shirts; I wonder if he's got my riot helmet? (n) I don't think our weather forecasters live anywhere near Huddersfield but then I couldn't really blame them. You could be right Silentrunning; such optimistic weather forecasts are obviously aimed at cheering us up; with my luck if I jumped from a bridge there would be an hay cart passing below and if I tried to shoot myself I'd miss. :)

Between 6C and 9C here today but this morning for an hour in the workshop I felt perished although I did turn more finial blanks and sharpen a tool; I've just suffered a senior moment; it flashed through my head when can I plant my Rudbeckia seeds. Summer is booked here for one day next week this being Wednesday with a sweltering 17C; I don't know how we'll cope with such extreme heat; I hope it doesn't strip the paint from our doors and windows.

Years ago I bought black pigment powder to use in my shellac (french polish) so today I thought I'd have a go at making black stain and failed miserably; I poured a small quantity of methylated spirit into a clean jam jar adding some of the pigment which simply sank to the bottom of the jar; I placed the lid on the jar and gave the contents a vigorous shaking and have now bought 1L black stain through eBay; I don't care how many things go wrong I'll win through one way or another in the end. :):):)

Thanks Marlingardener; wouldn't the yoga mats be better for you than a pistol? :) Our post usually consists of bills and junk mail. I hadn't thought of using my welders helmet; many thanks for the idea; (y) I might need the welders helmet though as protection from the sun next Wednesday with it's dark filter installed?

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

One problem resolved this morning after a number of emails; the fishing net delivered in error is now mine to keep; the supplier has generously given it to me saying it looks like a warehouse mistake; given our rainfall I wonder if I could use this fishing net at the valley bottom? Just the shirts sent in error now to resolve but I'm getting there. (y)

Such things come in threes so I hope the next error delivery is an "ARK".

An update. I now also own two large ex police white shirts; the supplier kindly informs me it's not worth the cost to return them so I can do as I wish with them. So in the end and after a few friendly emails I've received two unexpected prezzies free of charge. I'll use the shirts for applying finishes to my woodturning. The riot helmet I ordered was delivered to a wrong customer but will be with me tomorrow; I knew there must be a silver lining to Blackie?

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00455.JPG

Last edited:

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks for your cheery thought Gemma; yes wet but warmer weather will soon be upon us if we're lucky; it's pouring with rain as I type. :(

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi,

Many thanks for your cheery thought Gemma; yes wet but warmer weather will soon be upon us if we're lucky; it's pouring with rain as I type. :(

Kind regards, Colin.
The Indianans believed they could call the rain with a dance...well perhaps there is also a "sun dance" ...dunno about you, but I'm willing to try
smhula.gif

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Gemma; I must have done a rain dance many years ago and it was highly successful; I daren't do a sun dance in cause I plunge Yorkshire into deepest drought? (y)

Thanks Sean; what a sad end to Tony Hancock; his "blood donor" is a real classic. :D

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Gemma; I must have done a rain dance many years ago and it was highly successful; I daren't do a sun dance in cause I plunge Yorkshire into deepest drought? (y)

Thanks Sean; what a sad end to Tony Hancock; his "blood donor" is a real classic. :D

Kind regards, Colin.

It's his "Oh dear Oh dear, it's Sunday afternoon," always makes me smile.

Ask a Question