What does your garden look like ... Today?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My native garden has lacked color the past few weeks, but New England Aster is blooming now. It's the grand finale before everything dies off for the winter.

IMG_4609 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
New England Aster
IMG_4856 copy.jpg

One of the last Gray-headed Coneflowers blowing in the breeze.
IMG_4872 copy.jpg

Surprised to find this late-season Monarch caterpillar. There isn't much food left for it. Most of my milkweeds are shedding their leaves.
IMG_4879 copy.jpg

An Autumn Meadowhawk dragonfly. A common sight this time of year.
IMG_4878 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:... it does seem to be compared to the rest of the big wide world at times doesn't it! But if we look in depth at our native wildlife we will see that ours are pretty stunning too, it's just that we don't fully appreciate them because we are so use to them.
It happens in every country. Familiarity breeds contempt, so the saying goes.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's the time of year where I start thinking every Monarch sighting could be the last.
IMG_5073 copy.jpg

Another Monarch was very lucky today. Nearly eaten by a frog, but managed to escape. The frog was sitting under my Blue Giant Hyssop plant and went for it.
IMG_5106 copy.jpg

Then, I noticed a second frog sitting on top of the very same plant.
IMG_5110 copy.jpg

Here's my thin strip of shade garden along my garage. This was added in Spring and has finally filled in. It has ferns, Wild Columbine, Great Blue Lobelia, and Wild Geranium. Next year will be the first year I'll get to see everything bloom along here, so I'm looking forward to it.
IMG_5117 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
The Alstromeria have been flowering for over four months as we have had such a hot year. They've survived two frosty mornings but are partially sheltered by overhanging plants

P1400890.JPG

The Cyclamen are into their third flowering this year
P1400884.JPG

Cobaea have only started flowering recently and, with a bit of luck, will continue into November
P1400774.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The Alstromeria have been flowering for over four months as we have had such a hot year. They've survived two frosty mornings but are partially sheltered by overhanging plants

View attachment 45400

The Cyclamen are into their third flowering this year
View attachment 45399

Cobaea have only started flowering recently and, with a bit of luck, will continue into November
View attachment 45398

Very nice! Alstroemeria is worth every single penny!

How many cylclamen corms are there? Marvellous display!

Cobea is very tender. It's a good idea to take it in or the snow will have it. Perhaps, you have collected seeds. Cobea is amazing as the colour change from white to purple - quite fascinating.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
How many cylclamen corms are there? Marvellous display!

That's about a quarter of the cyclamen bed and there must be hundreds of corms. Some of the corms are 8" across. The cyclamen have also spread into the beds around it, through the lawns and into our wild area where our fruit trees are (only flowered there this year and delayed the cutting down of the wild area). We planted the first of the cyclamen 44 years ago.

We don't bother to bring in the Cobaea. We grow them new each year and then plant them out. We don't have time to look after that sort of thing. :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
That's about a quarter of the cyclamen bed and there must be hundreds of corms. Some of the corms are 8" across. The cyclamen have also spread into the beds around it, through the lawns and into our wild area where our fruit trees are (only flowered there this year and delayed the cutting down of the wild area). We planted the first of the cyclamen 44 years ago.

We don't bother to bring in the Cobaea. We grow them new each year and then plant them out. We don't have time to look after that sort of thing. :)

LOL! That makes me giggle! Forgotten how big your garden is and how busy you two are!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You can always pop down the road and give us a hand. ;)

I need YOU to give me a hand and advice:LOL:;). How do you overwinter hellebores in pots please? A major headache! :(

Ask a Question