What does your garden look like ... Today?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
First bloom of 2017! Common Violet. I added more violets to my garden this year in hopes of attracting more Great spangled fritillary butterflies (who's caterpillars eat violets). It's one of the coolest butterflies in the area, and I only got to see one in my garden last year. Might take a few years for the violets to establish well enough to attract them, but we'll see.
IMG_1399 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't often show a full shot of my main native garden. I like to focus on the plants and insects that use them, but I thought I'd share so you'd see what it looks like (You can also use the blueprint in my showcase to get a better idee of the overall shape and size). Things will be considerably different in a month, and even more so in two, as it'll be all filled in.

IMG_1514 copy.jpg

Here's a shot of Wild Lupine. The leaves collect water in the center.
IMG_1505 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Violet.
IMG_1535 copy.jpg

Wild Columbine
IMG_1573 copy.jpg

and, the shot of what a Spring garden should look like. I don't remove leaves because they shelter hibernating insects such as caterpillars and butterflies. I leave stems at least a foot tall for bees. In about a month, it'll be all covered up by this year's plant growth.
IMG_1563 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My peach tree is starting to bloom. I'm hoping for better luck this year, Last year I had leaf curl and in the end, I only was able to eat one peach. After that, I sprayed a copper-based fungicide in early Winter. I probably should've done it again in early Spring but I completely forgot about it.
IMG_1684 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Butterflyweed and Common Milkweed is starting to pop up out of the soil. This should be the first year the Common Milkweed flowers, so I can hardly wait!

IMG_1694 copy.jpg

IMG_1698 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I moved my wood pile over to the edge of my native garden. That'll provide shelter for all sorts of things (frogs, toads, chipmunks, rabbits, insects, etc.)
IMG_2003 copy.jpg

The House Wren has already been enjoying hopping around it.
IMG_2002 copy.jpg

Wild Columbine is growing quickly. It should start to bloom in a week or so.
IMG_2014 copy.jpg

Prairie Dock is shooting up. This plant gets massive leaves, and I'm still not completely sure if I'll keep it in the garden, but I'm going to wait until it flowers to decide. This is only its second year, so it's still small.
IMG_2006 copy.jpg

Butterflyweed and Swamp Milkweed are continuing to grow.
IMG_2013 copy.jpg

IMG_2015 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh, and Wild Geranium is going to bloom any moment! I added this to the garden a year ago and have been patiently waiting for this moment.

IMG_2018 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We got the garden tilled up yesterday and started transplanting today.

Maters, cucumbers, sweet peppers, cantaloupe, jalapeno, habinaroes, and carolina reapers. Ill plant the climbing French beans and sweetcorn later.

143p0ti.jpg

11sgfte.jpg

And as an asside. My lillies are doing very nicely.

33mnd77.jpg

2e4annl.jpg

2hnv29e.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Lanceleaf Tickseed started flowering less than a week ago. I'm seeing a lot of native bee activity by it, and I'm surprised I didn't capture any in this photo.
IMG_2786 copy.jpg

Blue Flag Iris opened up in the native garden today. It's been open over by my pond for more than a week.
IMG_2791 copy.jpg

Spiderwort has been attracting a lot of small bees, like this Metallic Green Sweat Bee.
IMG_2801 copy.jpg

and my Wild Lupine is nearing the end of its bloom period.
IMG_2810 copy.jpg

Ask a Question