What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’m bad. Again. I got 3 shubinkin, some water lettuce and water hyacinth. So much for a baby betta and submerged plants! These will provide much needed surface coverage, and I’ve got the shubinkin in the quarantine tank now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Picked more sugar peas, lettuce, and green beans, weeded the second planting of beans, and harvested some grape leaves to make dolmas for dinner. The wind was so strong that I didn't really want to play "catch me if you can" with the roses, so that can wait until tomorrow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I planted marigolds, poppies, nasturtiums (which will probably die), and morning glories. In just over 24 hours, the marigolds are already popping up! I was amazed to see them sprouting already!! (I actually did the planting on Tuesday but just now got to post the update. LOL

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Being the weekend I had high hopes to be working in the garden, but of course we woke up to rain, and so I did nothing yet today
smcloud2.gif

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After over two years of rain; snow; sleet; hail and everything nasty we've suddenly hit a dry spell so at last Blackie has become fed up of trying to drown me. Now I've put lots of plants and bushes in the garden I'm having to use the hosepipe and carry water to the top of the mountain in the watering can; I'd much rather soak the garden though than be soaked myself; I'm just surprised we haven't an hosepipe ban in place and standpipes erected because dry weather here is rare? Gale is still persistent putting her cold prevailing breeze up the valley first thing but I can put up with this.

I'm awaiting over 100 assorted plants to arrive then I can get busy; I'm going mad making the most of this dry spell and have been in the garden since very early this morning; watering; weeding and trimming lots of laurels. No moaning about the weather from me at the moment. :D:D:D

WOW Gemma, what a great little picture; it's a clone of myself and Blackie. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Not doing much today, as I'm pretty much up to date with the garden, apart from the several clematis I tied up more growth.

P1010471.JPG

So I gave the tea-house (shed) a bit of a clean. There's not a lot of room in there for much more than the jukeboxes, my Budweiser fridge and a couple of chairs and this old TV.

I got the support bracket for the TV in a charity shop about ten years ago for a couple of quid, (they had no idea what it was). Then I had to find some black ash Contiplas, to make a shelf for the Freeview box. Black ash once all the vogue, is now made of "unobtanium," as it was a hell of a job finding some, even back then.There's an old steam mop I use for the vinyl floor.

There's a couple of rechargeable moisture absorbing units on the cut down worktop, which get changed with the two inside the jukeboxes. Those plus a 40w lamp on in each ward off any damp. In the winter I cover them with four thicknesses of dust covers, they don't like damp and low temperatures.

P1010472.JPG

Chrome plating can get very pitted if not cared for. Mine's OK. This one will be fifty years-old, next year. I've had it for about ten.

P1010474.JPG

The chairs fit nicely at both ends of the little verandah.

P1010478.JPG

I can open the door next to the chair and roll out the fridge on its stand. The bubble-wrap insulation on the backs of the doors and windows stays on all year round

P1010477.JPG

I recycled a couple of old kitchen units. They house spare records and essential jukebox tools, like this set of spinners. Conventional spanners are useless due to the restricted accessibility

P1010473.JPG

Half the fun is keeping them going.

When you consider the functions of all this except the speakers, can be crammed into an i-Pod. It really amazes me.

This video I made seven years ago shows the operation. Must interest some as it's had over 8,000 hits.

This is my Rock-Ola neon clock I made. Replicas of these are horrendously expensive. I made this from an obviously unwanted Manchester United clock, I bought on e-Bay for £10. The Rock-Ola graphics I got by e-Mail from a fellow enthusiast in California, who patronises the same jukebox message boards as do I.

P1010476.JPG

Last edited:

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I've got all the summer bedding nearly ready, just got to harden them off. Waiting for the wallflowers to finish.

Already planning the spring bedding and tulip bulbs.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
A couple days ago I started moving some plants around. My Eastern Red Columbine died over winter, but it has quite a few offspring that I was moving into certain locations. I've also been finding Wild Geranium seedlings, which is great! I want the southern section of my garden to be more woodland-influenced, so these two species will really help me with that goal.

I also moved quite a few plants into my new rain garden.

Ask a Question