What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Here’s the others. The burgundy iris looks black before it blooms. I love it.
A98AD4B7-ACE7-47F6-8463-F69CFF240A86.jpeg
B9422A39-BFF8-4CBD-9AF9-23C213AFE672.jpeg
7304FFEA-B743-4C8F-9E30-170085546C3C.jpeg
ECB48728-4884-4984-83E8-DE92393F4C83.jpeg
ECB48728-4884-4984-83E8-DE92393F4C83.jpeg
38DF5123-98E4-4B77-B2BF-022918D2A411.jpeg
7937FEF4-359E-4F2D-A7D1-0537308467A4.jpeg

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The fair month of May in our rear garden means wrapping up in my heavy site coat as I do most of the year; I've just done 30 minutes sod busting in a perishing breeze; Gale is always with us on this valley side and she sure is cold so far today; the garden is so steep it is difficult to stand upright and anything I place on the ground wants to head to the valley bottom; still gardening is a pleasure isn't it?

Last year I turned over large areas of grass which were mostly moss and now I'm taking my time to sort these areas out making a much better job of them; I've rotavated (tilled) three times and this has helped a great deal; there are masses of roots and plenty of stones plus of course all kinds of weeds; I'm just attacking the lot removing all the debris I'm exposing; the grass/moss sods that remain I'm pounding with a trowel to remove most of the soil before disposing of them. I'm actually enjoying doing this because the hardest part of the job is already done.

I've already sorted out two large areas and now this middle of the garden is receiving a makeover and I'm winning. I've planted lots of flowers and shrubs and yesterday I ordered more plants from J Parkers these being on special offer; I'm not a gardener and as such I'm just buying plants/shrubs which I think look nice and which Bron too will like;

upload_2018-5-10_10-12-45.png

All the above delivered to our door for £19.94 I think to be a real bargain; I've bought quite a few plants from Parkers recently and am highly delighted with them; I'm just filling the reclaimed soil with a good mixture of plants; I've also planted around 30 Aubretia for ground cover; the Pachysandra and Ajuga I planted last year are taking off; it's hard to imagine now how the garden looked last year being badly overgrown and in need of much TLC.

I've now had a brew and warmed up so back on with my Eskimo kit and I'm off up the mountain again. What fun I have and I'm never bored.

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00571.JPG

Roots; weeds; stones; grass/moss sods all beneath just waiting for me to dare disturb them.

DSC00572.JPG

A large area ready for more plants/shrubs.

DSC00573.JPG

The middle area I'm now sorting out; plug plants of Aubretia being added; the grass paths easy to look after.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Planted 2 blackberry plants out.
They make berries the second year on the first years growrh so feed them well. We use wire to train them on with a plant by each post. Very challenging to pick a prickly bush form so we have them in short rows where we can walk in between them.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
They make berries the second year on the first years growrh so feed them well. We use wire to train them on with a plant by each post. Very challenging to pick a prickly bush form so we have them in short rows where we can walk in between them.
Yes thanks. I have thornless ones.

The gooseberries are very prickly.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Planted beets and potatoes, got the raised beds turned over and ready for planting ( in about 2 weeks). Everything is coming up well inside and in the greenhouse, and peas and asparagus are doing well. Even the Rhubarb is leafing out nicely!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
A gave this pergola and its posts another coat of paint.
P1010460.JPG

Also the rails of the pool pergola and tea-house rail, whilst I had a brush in my hand.

P1010469.JPG

Killed four lily beetles I spotted in different places and then gave all the lilies another spray.

I then gave my Flymo a real good clean, scrubbed out the underside with hot soapy water, then gave it a "lub job."

I guess I was looking for things to do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
A gave this pergola and its posts another coat of paint.
View attachment 36862

Also the rails of the pool pergola and tea-house rail, whilst I had a brush in my hand.

View attachment 36863

Killed four lily beetles I spotted in different places and then gave all the lilies another spray.

I then gave my Flymo a real good clean, scrubbed out the underside with hot soapy water, then gave it a "lub job."

I guess I was looking for things to do.
Hehe, if you need things to do, I’m short on time and knowledge for my garden! Plus I’m sure you could find a million other things around here to do. Lol, jk

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to try raspberry. Do you have any and if so are they very similiar to growing the others?
Yes I've got some, they do tend to wonder a bit.
Got them coming up in the lawn/grass, just pull them up or cut them off. But they're easy to grow, but most of them don't like waterlogged soil. The ones i got had long roots on them. I didn't plant them deep, I planted them in a trench about 3inc deep,the roots grow close to the surface.
The variety called Polka grows on Less desirable ground. I planted that last autumn.

I have one that does well called Cascade Delight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It’s my day off! I’m taking Dad to the Dr down In the city, then when we get back, my plan is to “rescue “ a few fish from the creek that’s drying up, to put in my tank I start my pond plants in, and duckweed. I need to move some duck weed out there, water the garden well, both flowers and veggies. Then get pics of how it’s all growing. I noticed yesterday my carrots are popping up, the radishes are doing very well, potatoes too. The purple bell pepper has the start of flower buds even though it’s still small.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’m thinking instead of minnows, with who knows what parasites, I’ll do a betta or two instead. After we get out, I’m thinking a quick visit to the pet store for a few aquatic plants, and a betta. The betta will be good with warm low oxygen water, and I’ll just set my aquarium inside up for cooler weather.

Ask a Question