What did you do in your garden today?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 27097 Beautiful if windy day. :)
Cut lawns, divided a large hardy geranium and started assessing what stays and what gets moved
This is one of my red heleniums, Margot. Been in flower for 6 weeks or so and more buds to come

I love helenium, but mine plants are not doing very well.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Been replanting hellebores and irises and realise how small a garden I have.. Nowhere to put anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I've been slowly pulling up annuals and killing ratty looking Petunia baskets. Will pot my few Santa Cruz begonias and bring them in for the winter on my plants racks. Harvesting Tomatoes and getting them into the freezer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I got the interior north and east walls of my greenhouse covered with Reflectix insulation in preparation for some cold weather veggies.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Yesterday I set out 12 broccoli starts, and today planted three kinds of leaf lettuces, parsley, and spinach. That does it for the fall garden, unless I can find some green bean seed.
From now on it's watering, weeding, and hoping!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I cut my small pumpkin off the vine yesterday. I have four pumpkins this year. I had quite a few more last year, but I planted fewer plants this year. It'll be a decoration for my pond for a few months, or until the squirrels dig into it to eat the seeds.
IMG_6508 copy.jpg

mg guy

lawn and garden freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I cut my small pumpkin off the vine yesterday. I have four pumpkins this year. I had quite a few more last year, but I planted fewer plants this year. It'll be a decoration for my pond for a few months, or until the squirrels dig into it to eat the seeds.
View attachment 27374
The frog and the pumpkin.
isn't that some sort of fable? does the frog become a prince? lol
great pic!
great website, BTW, JB.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yesterday, I pulled out all of my rudbeckia hirta seedheads. For some reason, many of my black-eyed susans looked ugly this year. I think I'm going to try another specie of rudbeckia in the future. I'll also get that early-summer yellow from Bush's Coneflower.

I think I've previously mentioned that I'm also in the process of deciding what plants I want and where I want them. Some plants seem to look better in large groups of the same specie while others look better scattered individually throughout the garden. I'm trying to decide what should go where. This will be a multi-year project. I'll do some this year and see how it looks next year, and then do more next autumn and repeat the process little by little so I don't disturb too much of the garden at once. I'm also trying to theme certain corners of the garden. My southeast corner will have plants that Ruby-throated Hummingbirds like. The northwest corner will be all about the Monarch Butterfly. The rest will continue to be general habitat.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How about some agastaches JB? The "hummingbird" plant :)
I grow a few varieties here.....all have aromatic foliage from citrus, coconut, pine and others. Plus the flowers all summer on tall, medium and short varieties......just about every colour too :)
Re rudbeckias, Goldsturn is unbeatable in my opinion. Reliably flowers from late June to autumn....just as good right now with no sign of flagging:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You forgot to mention that you live in balmy and lovely Cornwall, @Verdun . For me, it's a total different story. I must put in an order for agastaches... I will pay for them. Just let me know..

mg guy

lawn and garden freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yesterday, I pulled out all of my rudbeckia hirta seedheads. For some reason, many of my black-eyed susans looked ugly this year. I think I'm going to try another specie of rudbeckia in the future. I'll also get that early-summer yellow from Bush's Coneflower.

I think I've previously mentioned that I'm also in the process of deciding what plants I want and where I want them. Some plants seem to look better in large groups of the same specie while others look better scattered individually throughout the garden. I'm trying to decide what should go where. This will be a multi-year project. I'll do some this year and see how it looks next year, and then do more next autumn and repeat the process little by little so I don't disturb too much of the garden at once. I'm also trying to theme certain corners of the garden. My southeast corner will have plants that Ruby-throated Hummingbirds like. The northwest corner will be all about the Monarch Butterfly. The rest will continue to be general habitat.

had a lot of hummingbirds in an out of the patio this year-they really went for the blue colored annuals.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
How about some agastaches JB? The "hummingbird" plant :)

I added Blue Giant Hyssop (Agastache foeniculum) to my native garden this past Spring. It's a plant that I hope to have spread throughout the entire garden eventually, and wish i would've had it years ago so I'd have a lot more of it by now. It has a great shape, size, and color. Even the foliage looks nice.

My hummingbird area will also have Wild Columbine, Foxglove Beardtongue, Great Blue Lobelia, and Scarlet Bee Balm (Jacob Cline hybrid), even though I try to keep all hybrids and cultivars out of my garden. I also have Indian Pink, but I may remove that and bring it over to my pond. I also tried Spotted Jewelweed, a hummingbird favorite, but the conditions are a bit too dry for it to thrive.

Re rudbeckias, Goldsturn is unbeatable in my opinion. Reliably flowers from late June to autumn....just as good right now with no sign of flagging:)

I have a variety of rudbeckia fulgida by my pond, likely "goldsturm". It's ok, but does not seem to be a favorite of pollinators. I recently saw Rudbeckia subtomentosa on a trail and thought it was one of the better looking rudbeckias I've seen. I plan to order seeds this winter.

Last edited:

Ask a Question