What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dug a new patch out last week to get ready for next year.
Turned it again and pulled mooooree roots out.
Any tips to improve the soil over the next 6 months?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorted out some ground cover under the grape vines for the dog to sit on :)

DSC06719.JPG

DSC06722.JPG

DSC06721.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Busy day yesterday!

Moved my tomatos from the bag they were in, into my newly created growing plot.
20210807_134806.jpg

20210815_120113.jpg

Screenshot_20210815-173120_WhatsApp.jpg

Also got some baby chilli/pepper plants off my dad, he was going to bin them.

Couldn't let them go to waste!
20210815_160322.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The BBC said it would be fine today. But there was a light drizzle until around 11.00am which held things up for a bit.
With the two small bags of mortar I managed to get from the village hardware store, I was able to finish bedding in the last four York stone coping slabs at the lantern end of the remaining pool concrete collar.

P1050467.JPG

I had enough left to do a bit of "fettling" where the brick pavers meet the path, adding some chippings to strengthen it.

I did have a bit of silver sand, cement and cement dye to finish the pointing. (It will dry lighter).

Then chucked in another 60 litrs of potting compost and planted out the cyclamen I'd bought in Sainsbury's yesterday.

P1050464.JPG

Job done!

Second job.
I mentioned elsewhere, when I was checking on 'arry's "housekeeping" whilst he was eating his dinner, he's been dragging in small handfuls of straw I've been occasionally leaving outside his front door when it's dry.
Although the interior is completely dry I noticed evidence of a bit of previous damp in the underside corner of the roof

P1050463.JPG

So I decided to make an over cover for it. I thought I had some plywood, but it was that thin MDF. It's quite strong but doesn't like water.
I had a couple of batons left from when I replaced the tops of the waneylap fencing and some polymer roofing felt from when I replaced that on the shed roof a few years ago.

So I made this.

P1050466.JPG

I stuck felt to the underside too and siliconed around the edges of the felt and the batons and some on the folds of the corners. So no water can get at the MDF.
I stuck another baton on the bottom two inches in from one of the long sides, so there will be a slope towards the back when I fit it, which will over hang at the back, but the bottom of the front will stick out and be low enough to prevent any rain getting under it.

I'll wait until tonight when he's eating his dinner before I put it on, so he'll be none the wiser.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Changed my mind, I decided I didn't want to scrabble about in the dark tonight and I didn't want to find it didn't fit. So I put it on.
Perfect fit.
He's now got a canopy over his front door.

P1050469 - Copy.JPG

I put a slab of rock on top of it. "in case he doesn't like it and tries to take it off."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I pruned about 30 knockouts and cleaned up 4 hybrids. Then I fertilized the lot and 6 camellias. The veg garden gave some okra, bell pepper, an 1 tomato as the spring garden rush is almost over. I trellised some fall crop German Queen tomatoes that finally decided to reach for the sky. I broke open the fall compost pile and started sieving and put out a few wheel barrows of compost. That is a true harbinger of fall coming around here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Nothing today, apart from moving the trail camera and tying it to the cherry tree trunk in my last photo. I've left 'arry some hay outside his door. Hoping to see how many times he's in and out of a night and whether he need the straw to increase his "room furnishings."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Shopping day today, so didn't do much until this afternoon, just a bit of pruning and sweeping up. My Flymo blower/vac packed up on Sunday. I only bought it in April, so I'm waiting to hear from the manufacturers about getting it replaced. So I was doing a lot of sweeping.
The repositioned trail camera caught 'arry many times. He came out at 10.00pm last night and didn't go back in again until 5.30 am. Then he was in and out half a dozen times for half an hour. I don't know if he was moving in his hay as the camera was too close to see properly. It's a bit of a pain swapping the SD card when the camera is in that position.

IMAG0015.JPG

The wire fence surrounds the bed to stop cats that get in there pouncing on the birds on the patio. They and he, can get through it easily enough.

I've made a sturdy camera stand out of scrap I had in the garage. From where it is on the patio I'll get a better view of what he's up to and the card is so much more accessible.

P1050470.JPG

I've left more hay outside his door.

P1050471.JPG

I've ordetred an extension lead for the 5v adapter. Presently, where it is, the camera is powered by its batteries.
I have a permanent bracket for it on the near end of the garage and another one I made, on the back of the shed. From either I can plug in the power adapter. But I've ordered an extension lead for it, so I can if I wish, place the camera pretty much anywhere. I only need to connect it when I've finished in the garden for the day, so it won't be in the way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's too hot to do much of anything but I did bury a few gallons of rotting kitchen scraps in my spring veg garden and pour diluted molasses on top and as soon as it cools off a little in about 45 days I will incorporate about 3 inches of leaf mold. One has to spread out his fun days. :D

Ask a Question