What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Now it's warm and I don't remember what plants I needed to more or where they were.

Ah memories!

I remember them or, not!

Every "evening," before we go to bed (that's about 1.00am) I always switch on the garden lights for a moment. The four switches are behind the lounge curtains next to the French windows. I've done it for over thirty years. This is to check that the garage circuit hasn't tripped out if it had the koi pool filtration wouldn't be working. We've no koi pool now, but we have had for years, two back-up freezers in a room in the garage which are always full of the frozen food my wife buys on-line and can't get in the big Miele in the kitchen.

If the lights come on, then all's well. If they don't, then it could be a major problem.

Last night they didn't, so in a moment I was out of the front door down the drive and into the garden, fortunately I was still fully dresed. Before I'd reached the side door of the garage, I remembered that earlier in the day I'd turned off the sockets that supply power to all the lights in the garden, as I'd wanted to change a few lamps for new non-incandescent ones and I hadn't turned them back on again.
Problem over!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Haven't done much at the moment, just watered the blueberries and anything else that needs it.
Soon be time to pull up the wallflowers and plant the pot marigolds in their place.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Trimmed maters and weeded. Sweated a lot
IMG_20190524_185442.jpg

Those are crimson sweet watermelon first row. 20lbs maybe 25. I need suggestions for a mesh to support them. And no not a bra. Silk panties maybe?

Some cucumber beginning their climb.
IMG_20190524_190206.jpg

Some squash and okra
IMG_20190524_190211.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Today I saved Tiny Tim tomato seeds and have decided to leave the forum due to ugly words said against God by atheist headfullofbees in the now closed thread 'is it a good idea to garden on a Sunday?'. I am a Christian, and will not tolerate hatred against God. I bid you all farewell.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Didn't do much today, just a bit of pruning wisteia shoots, tying up new growth on clematis and pruning the three quinces on the side fence. I don't like them growing too high as they block the azaleas from the sun.
Went to Wyevale to spend my vouchers. One of our ceramic rose pots had a crack in it where the wind had blown it off its pot mover last year, so I bought a replacement.... and three alpines for the gaps in the rockery, plus another pot mover. It was for my wife's blueberry plant she wants to keep on the patio. Wyevale wasn't at all busy for a bank holiday week-end. This is one of those planned for closure and housing development if they can get the planning permission. it's happened to at least two nurserys that I know of in the Altrincham area.

Re-arranged the roses on the new paved area, to give my wife a better view from her chair in the lounge. They're all doing nicely and some are already flowering. Did a bit of greenfly spraying.

One other "non gardening job." I've several sets of "scruff" I wear around the house. At any time I can drop what I'm doing indoors go straight out to the garden or garage, get involved in a mucky job, then come in shower and change into clean scruff.
I've a bad habit of not always properly checking my pockets for the odd screw, nut or washer. There's always a chance something could end up in the washing machine's filter. So every six months I check the filter for any lint or metal objects, as I did today. I do it when my wife's not in the kitchen as "there'd be trouble" if I found something. (This machine is on at least twice a day, every day). Anyway, I didn't find anything in the filter.

I can't win with her, she's never very well and often in pain, which makes her a bit cranky sometimes.

Yesterday on one of these occasions, I jokingly said to her "What would you do, if I wasn't here for you to moan at?"

She replied, "If you weren't here, I wouldn't have anything to moan about!"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Didn't do much today, just a bit of pruning wisteia shoots, tying up new growth on clematis and pruning the three quinces on the side fence. I don't like them growing too high as they block the azaleas from the sun.
Went to Wyevale to spend my vouchers. One of our ceramic rose pots had a crack in it where the wind had blown it off its pot mover last year, so I bought a replacement.... and three alpines for the gaps in the rockery, plus another pot mover. It was for my wife's blueberry plant she wants to keep on the patio. Wyevale wasn't at all busy for a bank holiday week-end. This is one of those planned for closure and housing development if they can get the planning permission. it's happened to at least two nurserys that I know of in the Altrincham area.

Re-arranged the roses on the new paved area, to give my wife a better view from her chair in the lounge. They're all doing nicely and some are already flowering. Did a bit of greenfly spraying.

One other "non gardening job." I've several sets of "scruff" I wear around the house. At any time I can drop what I'm doing indoors go straight out to the garden or garage, get involved in a mucky job, then come in shower and change into clean scruff.
I've a bad habit of not always properly checking my pockets for the odd screw, nut or washer. There's always a chance something could end up in the washing machine's filter. So every six months I check the filter for any lint or metal objects, as I did today. I do it when my wife's not in the kitchen as "there'd be trouble" if I found something. (This machine is on at least twice a day, every day). Anyway, I didn't find anything in the filter.

I can't win with her, she's never very well and often in pain, which makes her a bit cranky sometimes.

Yesterday on one of these occasions, I jokingly said to her "What would you do, if I wasn't here for you to moan at?"

She replied, "If you weren't here, I wouldn't have anything to moan about!"
On my phone this comes out as 42 lines of "Didn't do much today" so I dunno about that.

My neighbor Chuck is a retired naval Lt. Commander. Helicopter squadron guy. I asked him once what he would miss most about his wife. His reply? "The noise".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
On my phone this comes out as 42 lines of "Didn't do much today" so I dunno about that.

My neighbor Chuck is a retired naval Lt. Commander. Helicopter squadron guy. I asked him once what he would miss most about his wife. His reply? "The noise".

For me that isn't a lot.
n hour in the garden, an hour to and from Wyevale, another half hour in the garden sorting out the pot and the alpines, then ten minutes on the washing machine. Then I watched tennis on TV. I've known people spending far more time than that.....On their phone!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Rainy day so I just shuffled plant trays around and potted up petunia cuttings. Took a plant order from a customer that showed up and she hired me to do spring, summer and fall yard care and such.

Yesterday morning. Took a chance the night before and planted my dahlias, glads and some baskets. No frosts in the forecast but I've had to drag out coversheets in years past.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I bought three alpines on Saturday and added them to the redundant waterfall.

Rhodanthemum Pretty in Pink. Phlox Purple Beauty and Rock Rose Banbury.

There's ten other phlox plug plants through three colours that I put in a week or so ago. But it's still looking a bit bare.

P1020878.JPG

I guess I'm a bit impatient, as the rest of the rockery looked like this in April 2017 when I cleared it out completely, (lots of grass)

P1000656.JPG

Then I bought twenty post plugs of Phlox from T&M and they've done really well, despite one of the contractors filling in the pool tramping all over them four weeks ago.

No gaps!

P1020879.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
my good neighbor, is wonderful at starting seeds during the winter. but had and over run with tomato plants of interesting types, he did try to sell them, then cut the price. bought 7 of them from him. and put them in big pots moving the pots to sunny spots as I really do not have any open sunny area for veggies, just pockets of sun. so we shall see.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Made the third planting of corn today to insure a great supply of fresh sweet corn all summer June, July, August, and September. This follows the first planting on April 1 and the second planting on May 1 and should provide continuous supply of fresh corn for the table.
third planting corn 2019.JPG

After years of experimenting I've found the triple sweet honey select variety the best tasting fresh garden corn available. We will freeze some but consume as much of it as possible fresh giving some away to friends and family.

There is just nothing like the joy of fresh sweet corn from the garden.

Ask a Question