What browsers are you using?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Have you ever thought of trying to market some of your inventions @Colin, you obviously have some ingenious ideas that work well. :)

That certainly looks like a job and a half you had with the piping. I presume you can see very little of it now?

I agree. Quite a few clever men on the forum .. Can make a few pounds on ebay!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks Sheal for your kind comments which are much appreciated. No I've never even considered trying to make money out of ideas I dream up; living here in the UK there is little or no encouragement and even less incentive to do anything these days; I already pay tax on my works pension and don't wish to be ripped off further should I do any work that I'm paid for; making a profit here is bad news after all it pays to be abysmal at your job to receive a pat on the back with a huge bonus for failure; I've had a lifetime of paying my dues and now the government regard me as a "Burden upon society" because I'm on state pension. I don't want to get into politics but as I say I'm encouraged to be bone idle.

Below I've added a few more images just for interest; I've said many times I'm a dinosaur taught in the old ways and I can make or do anything at all using my head and hands. When I bought the new cement mixer for the flood defences job the mixer arrived damaged only found after the delivery vehicle had gone; the motor mounting was broken it being plastic and the weight of the box meant it received rough handling. No way did I intend to try to rebox the mixer and go through the palaver of returning it after all I had bought this mixer to do a job. Such things are just another problem to sort out; I had a look around to see what I had in stock and pulled out a lump of "Whale Tufnol" I made a new heavy duty motor mount out of this; when I make something it's made to last. I kept this new mixer for six weeks looking after it and then sold it on for £30 less than I paid for it.

I've included a better picture of the pointing tray I made; as the joint is filled the tray is slid along leaving perfectly clean flags and the joint only needs running over with the trowel to complete it; this has proved very useful indeed over the years and it cost nothing other than a bit of effort although dreaming up the idea was the difficult part.

Rainwater runs towards the bungalow wall but I've laid the flags with a gradient towards the side garden so the patio never floods. Please notice the two white pipes and the gutter fall pipe how neatly they are attached to the new drains; I marked the plastic caps and cut out to give a perfect fit; much better than cleaning filthy material from open hoppers; I've possibly broken no end of laws and regulations doing this work but then I was following professional builders who hadn't a clue but had correct certification? Just because a person has a certificate doesn't guarantee competency? I'll stand by any job or project I carry out and I'm not scared to stand up saying yes I did that. (y):)

Thanks alp; there are also quite a few clever ladies here on the forum too. (y) So many people these days pray to the god of money and think of little else; Bron and I through living within our means and not having luxuries like holidays or flash cars whilst saving whatever we could are now comfortable on our pensions; we paid the mortgage off immediately I retired in 2000 and unlike many who dash out to buy a new car and caravan with their pension lump sum and redundancy pay out we invest ours so we can now afford to indulge ourselves in our various hobbies enjoying an enviable lifestyle whilst others worry about smoking plastic.

upload_2017-11-14_12-16-16.png

I have the benefit of Bron who is just brilliant and has stood by me for many years whilst we remained home working on our house during holidays whilst everyone around us went abroad then came back home bragging about where they had been to but then they were miserable the rest of the year; I'm certainly not smug or want to preach but Bron and I have worked hard for what we have and are still working hard in retirement; the quote above is as true today as the day it was first written. A lot of people are going to be in for a shock when they finally retire?

I've rambled on enough in fact apart from spending ages trying to buy bird peanuts this morning I've been idle but I won't be idle for long. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Flood defenses (4).JPG
Flood defenses (5).JPG
Flood defenses (1).JPG
Flood defenses (8).JPG
Flood defenses (2).JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Very nice building work. Bron must be very proud of you! Nice looking work!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks alp; (y) Bron and I fully support each other; Bron has put up with lots of mess over the years as I've tackled big jobs but rather than complain Bron has joined in helping where she could; when we replaced the main bungalow roof and roof over the two roomed extension; Bron was in the driveway filling the skip; when I kicked in the two water damaged ceilings and we could see the sky through the rafters it looked horrendous but Bron was stuffing plastic bags with the plasterboard; I know Bron loves me to bits as I do her and we do everything together as any married couple should but unfortunately many don't. Loving and working together side by side costs nothing but is so very important.

Thanks Sheal; (y) The way I work reflects on the top engineers who taught me all those years ago and I still firmly believe there is only one way to do a job; do it right first time and don't simply copy what went before if I can upgrade or make it better in any way; apart from Bron I work on my own so I'm in full control working at my own pace which is usually just the right side of panic; I have a powerful work ethic built in and never ever start something I don't finish. One job at a time but do it well. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
How sweet was that Shame you never mentioned children.. Such nice people should have children to populate the world. But still, as long as you two are happy, that's all that counts..

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks alp; no children and we never wanted any; children are supposed to make a family but surprising isn't it when there are so many single parents with kids? Bron and I have both had very hard lives to contend with; we've never had kids so don't miss them. We are very much aware we are resented for not having kids but we live with it; "It's alright for you because you've no kids". Yes Bron and I are very happy if we are left alone but we've had nothing but family problems on my side all our married life; in retirement we now man the barricades. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Nobody would resent you two. Since you two are such upright people, you two would make very good parents. My thought any way.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

You are so kind alp; thank you. :joyful: Bron and I have suffered lots of illness besides lots of hard knocks from family and so called friends. We met at a rehabilitation centre in Leeds (no not on drugs) we were both ill at the time; I had been involved in a road traffic accident and this turned my life upside down; Bron too was ill and was also suffering family problems; we've not been apart since and I've got a true; caring and very lovely soul mate in Bron for life; it was worth taking a beating in the road accident for this outcome; we are now free of problems other than low life neighbours but on the whole we are very happy and content with our lot; not smug because we've worked to achieve our lifestyle. One thing we find alp is that many people do resent anyone being happy; just look at the media every day and see what a miserable world we now live in; it seems the more money people have the more miserable they become? We have very few friends but better friends like these we can fully trust than so called friends only out for what they can get? :stop:

Has your computer settled down now alp; I hope so because I know its been highly frustrating for you recently? Yesterday we received our free (?) speed increase from Virgin Media upgrading from 75 Mbps to now 100 Mbps; nothing is free and a short while ago our Virgin bundle package monthly bill was increased but it's still excellent value so I'm not complaining.

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
What a wonderful outcome from such a tragic convergence .. Bless you two.

Internet is OK now, but not so fast as yours. Was tempted to go fibre, but wait till son has got a job. I will still be alive without FAST internet ..

Ask a Question