What are these?

elo

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Can anyone tell me what these bugs are and if they are harmful? All over my Lilies!

Attachments

• D1755CC6-F0D9-47A0-B14F-DAEEB3597E27.jpeg
    D1755CC6-F0D9-47A0-B14F-DAEEB3597E27.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 3C391ACF-746A-4FDA-B10C-5652636E5436.jpeg
    3C391ACF-746A-4FDA-B10C-5652636E5436.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 58
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you look closely at the pictures you can see them sucking on the plant, so yes, they are harmful and their name is APHID.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What kind of aphid is that @Chuck ? I haven't seen one like it here. We do seem to have a lot of different bugs between us - those ones look as if they have snouts a bit like the weevil family???? I know you have giant wood aphids there in the USA.

elo

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
If you look closely at the pictures you can see them sucking on the plant, so yes, they are harmful and their name is APHID.
Really? They don’t look like the usual aphids we get. And they were mostly just on the anthers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What kind of aphid is that @Chuck ? I haven't seen one like it here. We do seem to have a lot of different bugs between us - those ones look as if they have snouts a bit like the weevil family???? I know you have giant wood aphids there in the USA.
There is definitely something wrong, either with my brain or my fingers. Why I typed APHID I don't have a clue. What I meant to type was BEETLE. I think what it is, or what it looks like, is called a Viburnum Beetle. If they are what you have they also enjoy tomatoes as I had an invasion of them this spring. They suck and chew leaves. I didn't know what they were for sure but I found a picture on google and then researched it further and Viburnum Beetle was the answer. Spinosad Soap made short work of them but not before they destroyed at least 20 tomato trusses. It was the first time I had ever seen this bug. Speaking of seeing things perhaps I should go see some kind of brain doctor.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh stoppit Chuck.
1627245673560.png
There is nothing wrong with your brain. The thing is, there have been so many questions to answer, and so few with so much information, you are probably suffering from overload.
When I can't find the car keys or phone etc Zigs usually suggests I look in the fridge - and he's sometimes right.

I have just spent a gripping hour reading up on weevils and beetles all over the world, and didn't realise just how many there are. I wonder if we are even aware of some. I found this one fascinating in particular
1627246236054.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh stoppit Chuck. View attachment 83753 There is nothing wrong with your brain. The thing is, there have been so many questions to answer, and so few with so much information, you are probably suffering from overload.
When I can't find the car keys or phone etc Zigs usually suggests I look in the fridge - and he's sometimes right.

I have just spent a gripping hour reading up on weevils and beetles all over the world, and didn't realise just how many there are. I wonder if we are even aware of some. I found this one fascinating in particular View attachment 83754
I knew there were quite a few beetles and weevils about but I had no idea until I looked it up. A paltry 97,000 species of weevils and (I had no idea) at least 350,000 species of beetle.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Really? They don’t look like the usual aphids we get. And they were mostly just on the anthers.
I agree that these appear to be a Weevil (Curculionoidea) in the Beetle Order (Coleoptera). It is interesting that these weevils seem to be only feeding on Lily (Lilium) pollen. I wonder if this is a typical behavior. It would be great to identify them, but with over 97,000 species of Weevil, it would be challenge. About 25% of described beetles are weevils, and about 25% of decribed animals are beetles!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HuFlungPu

Latest Threads