Weigela Shrubs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hello again. Last fall I planted 5 small live Weigela shrubs on our walkway. I took care not to prune them and they have burst with flowers. The flowers are fading and the little I know about Weigela (wine & roses) is that one shouldn't cut them till after the bloom.
Questions - can I prune them now or should I wait till August
And how do I help them be more dense; they seem spindly to me? Is it normal to tie them up or will pruning do that?
Thanks!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 320
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I did a little google search and it appears they flower on last years new wood so best time to prune is right after this years flowers are gone before new growth really gets started. I think pruning with a thoughful eye will allow for more branching and less spindly stuff :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I did a little google search and it appears they flower on last years new wood so best time to prune is right after this years flowers are gone before new growth really gets started. I think pruning with a thoughful eye will allow for more branching and less spindly stuff :)
I have a few Wine & Roses growing also, and would like to add, if you prune right after blooming is finished, there is a good chance you will get a second bloom in late summer. It won't be as profuse as in the spring, but a re-bloom none the less. Not sure if you have humming birds in your area, but where I live the hummers really appreciate that second bloom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I have several of these shrubs. The french lace, the wine, and a regular green. I will prune any branches that are reach for God, any low crap I don't like, but a real pruning, really do not do. I like the natural weeping effect they give. .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Licenter, no hummers but we have lots of birds from the mourning dove yo the regal cardinals. Actually is there a flower that pleases the cardinal?
Esther, promise I won't whack my pretty plant but it definitely needs some pruning.
Spent early this morning working on roses left by former owners. This is hard work!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Licenter, no hummers but we have lots of birds from the mourning dove yo the regal cardinals. Actually is there a flower that pleases the cardinal?
Esther, promise I won't whack my pretty plant but it definitely needs some pruning.
Spent early this morning working on roses left by former owners. This is hard work!!
To tell you the truth, I don't know what they prefer. I do see them hanging out in the rose of sharon, and a cherry tree that is in my back yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I had hummers on the French Lace Weigela. now they are on my climbing honeysuckle on my deck. they will like the bee palm when they bloom. but so pissed at them. I went out and bought natural, no preservative sugar for the feeder and they do not touch it, Fresh filled again yesterday, giving it one more try, if not its back to the stupid regular sugar, was doing them a favor. By the way, my hummers also like the Virginia blue bells in the spring. My rose of sharon not blooming yet, will pay attention if I see any there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have three feeders, all exactly the same style. Two of them they will not touch. The other one they all fight over. They also go nuts over Cuphea "Cigar plant'

Ask a Question