14 June 2016 Weigela

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2016/June%202016/14%20June%202016%20Weigela/HTML/ 14 June 2016 Weigela
The bush was severely trimmed last year and has responded in all its glory this year. I saw one bumble bee visiting the flowers. Seldom are there any bees in my garden which is of some concern. I use no ‘cides.
weigela0675_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
It looks lovely Durgan. :) You may be lacking bees from your garden because of the wrong type of plants. Try checking what you have on the internet to see if they are bee friendly.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
It looks lovely Durgan. :) You may be lacking bees from your garden because of the wrong type of plants. Try checking what you have on the internet to see if they are bee friendly.

It is far more serious than variety of plants. I have a wide variety of constantly changing blossoms throughout the garden. I blame it on the use of 'cides throughout the country.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Beautiful Durgan! What time of year to you prune it? Mine has been in the ground just short of two years now, and is starting to fill out nicely.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
How and when to prune your Weigela - Weigella - Weigelia!

Weigela should be pruned immediately after flowering in early summer. As with many shrubs that flower at this time of year, they produce flowers on wood made in the previous season (year). If you prune your Weigela late in the year, then it will not have time in to grow mature wood for flowering next summer. If you prune your Weigela early in the year (before it flowers) then you will be cutting off the flower buds that developed last year, and there will be no flowers on it until the following year.

As soon as your Weigela has finished flowering, prune out all of the flowered stems by about one third of their length. This pruning will then prompt the Weigela to produce fine new shoots which will mature through the summer and produce plenty of flower buds for the next year.
http://www.gardenseeker.com/pruning/pruning_weigela.htm

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It is far more serious than variety of plants. I have a wide variety of constantly changing blossoms throughout the garden. I blame it on the use of 'cides throughout the country.
No bees here, either. :(

I asked for, and received, a 1 lb bag of Dutch white clover seeds for Christmas. (Yes, my family thinks I am weird. :geek: ) But I couldn't resist the benefits!! It fixes nitrogen in the soil, making the grass greener. It withstands drought fairly well, so it will stay green even if the grass goes dormant. The roots can go down a foot; they aerate the soil, and it's good for erosion control. AND, all those pretty white flowers feed the bees.

I seeded the heck out of my lawn. I walked a third of the way into my neighbor's lawn, and seeded hers, as well. :ROFLMAO:

I don't see any bees. :cry:

(Maybe I'll ask for Bird's Foot Trefoil...)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The bees are late here, as are the hummingbirds. last Sunday I started seeing small bumble bees. Not very many, but they are finally showing up. Not one honey bee as yet tho.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I love Weigelas, I have three types on my property. Two Burgundy, 5 french lace, and one just green with the pink flowers. cannot seem to find an immediate picture. anyway, I use the burgundy as a back drop for foreground colors. It goes really well behind a true blue hosta. and as a back drop behind my canada lillies. The 5 french lace are gathered on a hill side and left to weave as they will, as the space is vast for them. my one just green, does need pruning and reshaping, noted that yesterday, have to get at it this weekend, or so.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia

Ask a Question