23 June 2016 Strawberry Juice

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2016/June%202016/23%20June%202016%20Strawberry%20Juice/HTML/ 23 June 2016 Strawberry Juice

Twenty four quarts\pounds of strawberries were picked at a cost of $2.00 per quart and made into 19 liters of Pressure canned juice. Process was to remove ends, place in cooking pot, cover with water about seven liters, bring to a boil and blend into a slurry. Put through food mill screen 2 mm mesh. There was little residue and this step could be eliminated. The juice was placed in liter jars (19) and pressure canned in batches of seven. The pressure canning was 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage at room temperature. A quart or liter of berries weight about one pound. Each liter of juice contains about 1.2 pounds or a quart/liter of berries. The juice has a slight tart taste, since strawberries are not very sweet.
dsc_968723%20june%202016%20strawberry%20juice_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Bring to a boil then remove the heat. I don't think he taste goes as they are brought to a boil.The juice is most pleasant. One can only ingest so many fresh berries during the short three week season. Strawberries are the only fresh fruit at the present time in my area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Sounds wonderful! I've never tried strawberry juice, but I'm sure it's delicious. I've always loved the taste of strawberries:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
That actually sounds like a very good way to use up strawberries if you happen to find yourself with a bunch. I know that I have wasted way too many strawberries, and other produce for that matter, over the years due to spoilage and strawberries in particular go bad so quickly. This would be great to get some use out of the ones that you know are just going to go bad soon. Thank you for sharing, and this will help me get some value out of what was once waste, and that is always a positive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I am sure strawberry juice is healthy. That reminds me, I am going to dehydrate mine in the oven. Everyone says they taste like Twizzlers. I am not a huge strawberry fan, unless they are in shortcake or pie, but I think I might like the dehydrated ones. I planted strawberries once..and wtih all the materials, it turned out to be an expensive project.

Ask a Question