Weedy yard

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
As soon as it warms up a little this spring if i had 1 weed pop up i would be at walmart getting some weedbegone to spray
start early and stay on it . if you run out get some more
then you can enjoy your yard and mow less

Jed

Reaction score
We get those really picky weeds that will grow a foot over night if you don't pull them right away. I forgot what they're called right now? I haven't found anything that will get rid of those things. They love to grow around my daughter's swing set. I have to pull them daily because it really hurts if you step on one of those. Anyone have any ideas for me? I don't have to deal with this now since it's winter, but I'd like to head it off at the pass right away in the spring.

It may be easy enough to identify your weed if you can let us know what area you live.
The other thing you can do is go to your local council and take in a sample. They may be able to give advise on eliminating it hopefully without having to spray considering it being a problem around your daughter's swing set.

Reaction score
Our lawn is horrible. The ground is all fill dirt from when we built our house, so nothing grows right anyhow. We have so many thistles, dandelions, and buckhorns, to name a few. I would love to start completely over, but we have about 2 acres of yard in the back and almost an acre in the front, and we just don't have the finances for that. Someday we hope to just fence the back yard in for a cow pasture and let the cows worry about it. As of right now, we keep planting trees, to turn the front lawn into more of a forest so then the weeds won't matter. At least we live out in the middle of no where, so people can't see how bad the lawn is, and the family isn't concerned with the looks of it either. I'm the only one that minds, but I can live with it. For now!

Reaction score
Never heard of Epsom salt and lime I'll need to try it!

I've had several different lawns with problems. The first house that I moved into the weeds where really bad. After struggling with them I finally called in a professional lawn care service, the one's that fertilize and spray your lawn. I only needed them to spray two or three times and my problem was solved.

The next house we pulled the weeds up by hand for months, which worked well too but took some time. Yet at the time we had more time than money.

And the third house we killed all the grass and started again from seed. Yet with all of these homes we had a good sprinkler system that would keep the lawns watered and going strong. Currently we're in Florida without a regular watering system and it seems like the weeds are out growing my grass quick and this sandy soil is not helping.

Reaction score
Honestly, if it's really *that* bad, you might be better off killing it all and then re-seeding.

If it's only in certain areas, though, then maybe try pulling the weeds instead? If you can get them out by the roots, they're less likely to spread.

I agree you might be better off just killing it all because those weeds will grow through anything. I did use a weed killer on my yard but found out that it really hurt my grass in the long run too so I was just better off killing it all and reseeding it completely.

Reaction score
Thankfully- we moved and no longer live at that house. We prefer to rent houses at this point in our lives rather than owning our own home. We now live in a place with much better grass- but there is a lot more of it to mow now!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
If you can keep the lawn mowed so the weeds don't get a good chance to develop and flower, usually the grass will crowd them out. One thing I do is take the weedeater to them, and get as much of the leaves and crown as possible' then the grass can move in, and crowd the weeds out before they can grow new leaves .

Reaction score
I had the same problem a few years ago. I spent all summer long pulling weeds and using a general weed and feed after watering or when it would rain. The weed and feed worked for the most part, but only took care of the existing weeds. The next spring I put down Preen which is a preventative chemical. It won't kill existing weeds, but prevents new ones from growing. I had great results, so now its something I do each year.

Reaction score
Wow, I can relate to weeds, I learned all about them when I was a kid. Picking them when I was visiting my grandmother. Some hurt but I enjoyed using the weed cutter and learning about what was and was not weeds. They would grow very quickly and I would help her put the soil down and check on my plants it makes you proud as a kid.

Ask a Question