Weeds! Help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
I bought my house 2 years ago. 1st year I was pregnant, last year I was trying to work off the baby weight and re did 75% of the yard. I didn't pay to much attention to lawn care, then grubs took out a big chunk in the front yard, and fruit trees messed up parts of the back yard lawn.

This year I got fertilizer, fertilized early spring, spring, and about to do the next treatment. I feel like there are more weeds this year than last year in my lawn and was wondering if this scotts weed n feed Turf builder actually works? I bought ortho weed killer that I attach to to the hose, and I also just ordered scotts grub x because I am worried about grubs again.

Is it ok if I use the weed killer, wait a few days to use the grub x, and first week of July use the fertilizer? Oh and I also have to use the 24 hour grub killer I have some brown spots. Am I over doing it?

Redoing all the landscaping my lawn is looking awful and I want the lawn looking crisp like the landscaping.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

We have been in this house two years now and my lawn is far from perfect still, however the missus says she can now walk comfortably on it with bare feet. I am going the right way, but these things take time.
My experience is that quick fixes, like chemical fertiliser and weedkiller, do not give such satisfactory or long lasting results as more traditional ones like green manure, compost, scarifiers and wire rakes.
Don't overdo the fertilizer, read what the manufacturer says on the packet, twice as much is not only not twice as good, it may actually be harmful. I usually treat things I can see and know are wrong rather than trying to anticipate.

PS sorry about the joke, but it illustrates, patience is everything.

Reaction score
Country
United States

We have been in this house two years now and my lawn is far from perfect still, however the missus says she can now walk comfortably on it with bare feet. I am going the right way, but these things take time.
My experience is that quick fixes, like chemical fertiliser and weedkiller, do not give such satisfactory or long lasting results as more traditional ones like green manure, compost, scarifiers and wire rakes.
Don't overdo the fertilizer, read what the manufacturer says on the packet, twice as much is not only not twice as good, it may actually be harmful. I usually treat things I can see and know are wrong rather than trying to anticipate.
I have been been through several stages of my lawn.
Did a “over haul” started spring 2020. It took until know to get where I am.
No particular order , but I lost a good amount of my lawn few years back with a hard draught. Then its been work ever since.

Attachments

• 1A6A2D2B-4985-4922-B524-F3DDEB5D9682.jpeg
    1A6A2D2B-4985-4922-B524-F3DDEB5D9682.jpeg
    396.3 KB · Views: 10
  • C1F23E49-9D42-4F56-B05C-1F6D5F7F63F4.jpeg
    C1F23E49-9D42-4F56-B05C-1F6D5F7F63F4.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 14
  • EA80A534-CFB4-4392-8121-6BA027FCE04C.jpeg
    EA80A534-CFB4-4392-8121-6BA027FCE04C.jpeg
    316.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 98CF4FE3-3A37-4C6B-B6DB-3D7F130EB757.jpeg
    98CF4FE3-3A37-4C6B-B6DB-3D7F130EB757.jpeg
    333 KB · Views: 13
  • E2E0393A-62A8-48F2-9AF2-B7A197474682.jpeg
    E2E0393A-62A8-48F2-9AF2-B7A197474682.jpeg
    414 KB · Views: 8
  • 1BB1DADA-0FD6-4875-9124-05CEC341595E.jpeg
    1BB1DADA-0FD6-4875-9124-05CEC341595E.jpeg
    343.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 033D7EC3-FB83-42FD-9AC7-69CC02B66464.jpeg
    033D7EC3-FB83-42FD-9AC7-69CC02B66464.jpeg
    363.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 0CC701CC-BD68-431D-B361-D489F5553409.jpeg
    0CC701CC-BD68-431D-B361-D489F5553409.jpeg
    328.9 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought my house 2 years ago. 1st year I was pregnant, last year I was trying to work off the baby weight and re did 75% of the yard. I didn't pay to much attention to lawn care, then grubs took out a big chunk in the front yard, and fruit trees messed up parts of the back yard lawn.

This year I got fertilizer, fertilized early spring, spring, and about to do the next treatment. I feel like there are more weeds this year than last year in my lawn and was wondering if this scotts weed n feed Turf builder actually works? I bought ortho weed killer that I attach to to the hose, and I also just ordered scotts grub x because I am worried about grubs again.

Is it ok if I use the weed killer, wait a few days to use the grub x, and first week of July use the fertilizer? Oh and I also have to use the 24 hour grub killer I have some brown spots. Am I over doing it?

Redoing all the landscaping my lawn is looking awful and I want the lawn looking crisp like the landscaping.
Weed and feed ?
Well you need to see what the product claims to do and how its applied.
Weeds and grubs have a cycle that needs to be broken or interupted.
1. Take soil samples before you do anything else. A good soil test will help. I used UMass Extension service and learned I was only maintaining a low PH even though I was applying lime every year, just not enough to get the levels up.
Umass labs

1. Weed Killer the healthier the weed the harder /longer product takes to work.
I used Spray on direct RoundUp For Lawns per suggestion on some tough “grass” weeds
Product label said reapply as needed after 14 days.
Well it looked like nothing was happening then day 12 it was like a switch by 14 weeds where dead.

Now the weed and feed granular most need applying while lawn is wet- again read the instructions

July is a good time to apply GrubEx again should be watered in after application to speed up effect. Grubex applied in july will target any new eggs/grubs easing the damage for next year.
As for fertilizer I would apply a fert with a pre-emergent to help control newly sprouting seeds and fall germination.
When it comes to weeds manual removal with as much of the roots is a good practice and toss them in the trash. I keep a few large dinner forks around to loosen up the area around the root/base for easy removal

Aeration is always a good thing to do , even if you just drive a pitch fork every few inches in the heavy traffic areas.

So come july 1st take a soil sample and send it off or now.
You can use those at home kits for now they will usually be in the ball park. I find them only good to see extreme ends of the range. Time and money better spent on the professional lab test.

Post some pictures if you can

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't bother about weeds in the lawn,we don't anymore it's nicer now and better for the insects.
Depends, I'll take out the ones that roseatte, yarrow and dandelion and sow thistle mainly, but I'll leave clover and daisy on the whole. I mow clover blossom sometimes if I think people may be walking barefoot, don't want them treading on bees, and I always was on strict instructions to leave enough daisies for a daisy chain when the girls were younger.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Thank you for the advice! My lawn is still hurting, the ortho weed killer did nothing, i just tried another weed killer.. Between the shed needing unexoected repairs,, fruit trees took off,, that side of the yard is a hot mess. I give up..
going to lay a weed barrier and wood chips for a playground for my daughter. (I don't have a big yard)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
A easier thing would to be laying cardboard instead of fabric and put the wood chips upon that layer. So many attempt to dig up fabric later and it is so hard to do. The weed seeds fly in the air, and as the woodchips compost themselves you will have weeds on top plus a child that changes patterns. At that point you will have nice compost layers and a fresh canvas upon which to plant what pleases you without digging up non rotting materials that only serve to block downward growing roots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have been been through several stages of my lawn.
Did a “over haul” started spring 2020. It took until know to get where I am.
No particular order , but I lost a good amount of my lawn few years back with a hard draught. Then its been work ever since.
What I'm about to suggest comes a lot down to personal taste, and a lot down to your climate.

We fought for years to get a nice, green lawn. We tried everything.
Eventually, we gave up and let clover take hold. Now we always have a lush, green lawn - often peppered with the fluffy, white flowers of clover. It seems to have eradicated the weeds and also kept the grass at bay a little meaning less mowing. It's really very pretty - zero work, and in my opinion much nicer than the best, greenest, weed free lawns.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
What I'm about to suggest comes a lot down to personal taste, and a lot down to your climate.

We fought for years to get a nice, green lawn. We tried everything.
Eventually, we gave up and let clover take hold. Now we always have a lush, green lawn - often peppered with the fluffy, white flowers of clover. It seems to have eradicated the weeds and also kept the grass at bay a little meaning less mowing. It's really very pretty - zero work, and in my opinion much nicer than the best, greenest, weed free lawns.
And suprisingly expensive if you try to buy clover seeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
And suprisingly expensive if you try to buy clover seeds.
I have used clover seed in some places. So for example, I've created a flower/veg bed that I wanted completely covered in clover so I could just rip a bit of clover away to plant something. I got a very small amount of seeds - so probably £2 - and sewed it into plug trays. I then randomly planted the plugs and by half way through the season the whole area was covered.

But clover WANTS to grow here. You don't need to give it much help.

Ask a Question