Weed or Herb?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Well, I was able to go out and squeeze one of the leaves between my fingers today to see what it smells like. It has a fabulously wonderful herb scent but I still can't identify which herb. It isn't quite minty, but my husband thinks maybe oregano. I am even more confused now but it smells really good! I got a picture of the stems, but the leaves are fuzzier than they appear in this picture. Thanks for all your help.
Do they have a square stem?

I'm not sure, but it looks a lot like a plant that grows in my yard, called the Snow Squarestem (and other common names), it's botanical name is, Melanthera nivea.

It has a square stem, but it's not in the mint family, it's in the Asteraceae family. Virtually every pollinator goes crazy over its flowers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United States

I'm not sure, but it looks a lot like a plant that grows in my yard, called the Snow Squarestem (and other common names), it's botanical name is, Melanthera nivea.

It has a square stem, but it's not in the mint family, it's in the Asteraceae family. Virtually every pollinator goes crazy over its flowers.

Thanks so much. I am going to see if it produces any flowers. If they do and are white, maybe you're right.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello again, just wanted to give an update on the progress of the mystery plant/weed/herb. It is getting super tall but no flowers, at least not yet. It is kind of blocking light from my tea rose so not sure if it will stay much longer.

20210613_143631.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

If it is a Snow Sqaurestem the flower will look like this, it's about 3/4-inch (19 mm) in diameter and attracts all kinds of pollinators

Attachments

• 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 32

Ask a Question