Killing Weeds Around Shrubs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you use any herbicide around your wanted plants there is a danger you will also kill or severely damage the plants. I find hand weeding works best, and it`s better for wildlife too :)
Welcome to the forums.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
I was not aware Fertilome made a weed killer, but in areas that may be sensitive i use Glyphosate mixed according to directions and wick selected plants with a damp sponge. Also 1 drop on 1 leaf of each petiole will kill small un-wanted trees that like to return unless they have been pulled. A 2.5 gallon jug of concentrate for $54 bucks last about 20 years unless i'm spraying a large area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
Pull the weeds with hands.

You have to be very careful with weed killers around shrubs or any plants you want. The wind may blow some of it on your wanted plant or it can just get on it. I am battling with bind weed right now, and have not planted much anything in an area where the bind weed is excessive. This weed I would for sure encourage a weed killer, other weeds, just pull them out from the roots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Gallery is a pre-emergent weed control so it won't affect your shrubs, but it won't kill existing weeds either. It works by preventing weed seeds from germinating.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pull the weeds by hand. Clip them down if necessary. Mulch with cardboard and wood chips. Go Back and remove any that grow through. Mulch every year and the weeds will be quite manageable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Pull the weeds by hand. Clip them down if necessary. Mulch with cardboard and wood chips. Go Back and remove any that grow through. Mulch every year and the weeds will be quite manageable.
Care to put that into an hours of work per square foot format so it models properly up and down the size scale? I am just pulling your begonia but you understand.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The initial hand-weeding will take a little more time than carefully applying the herbicide, ...and a lot more time than sloppily applying the herbicide, but there are issues of quality, cost, and risk to factor in as well.

The mulching step should be done for several other reasons besides weed control, such as water conservation and soil enrichment, so never doing it is just poor care, and if it is done on schedule weeding should become a snap.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pull the weeds with hands.

You have to be very careful with weed killers around shrubs or any plants you want. The wind may blow some of it on your wanted plant or it can just get on it. I am battling with bind weed right now, and have not planted much anything in an area where the bind weed is excessive. This weed I would for sure encourage a weed killer, other weeds, just pull them out from the roots.
There were established gooseberry and blackcurrant bushes in this garden when I came , with plenty of bindweed. Initially I pulled it, and I still do close to the plants, but mostly I hoe the beds roughly once a week. It can't get more than an inch or two high in that time and is gradually disappearing. In the meantime I am adding chopped up leaves to the tilth that have drawn nutrients up from the depths. Once a tilth is established hoeing is a quick job, and it protects the surface of the soil much like a mulch.

Ask a Question