Weed or Herb?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I am assuming this is a weed since it is already thriving im my garden bed, however, it looks like such a nice, neat little bundle and I'm not sure if maybe it's an herb...
The leaves are a little fuzzy I think with serrated edges. The closest thing I could find online was Nettle or pineapple sage but not really sure. Does anyone know what this is? Thank you!!

Attachments

• 20210502_161909.jpg
    20210502_161909.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 74
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think I would taste it.

Lol, well I did throw a sweet italian basil leaf in the dirt last summer to see if it would grow but that doesn't look like basil to me. I might break off a leaf and see what it smells like tomorrow, I'll keep you posted....unless it's poison, then I won't be able to post.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This may help with unknown plants.

Thanks so much, good to have a strategy. I moved to this house 3 years ago and have found that the previous owners planted so many fruits and edible plants around the yard but whenever I find something new, I am a little cautious because I also found Pokeberries on the property. Looked those up and found out those would be real bad to eat.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Look up mint and stinging nettle. If it has a square stem it will be in that general category. Crushed leaves will provide a smell that gives you some clues. Bee balm also falls into this group.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like Monarda- bee balm.

Ooh, that would be cool if it was bee balm, but the leaves look more serrated than the pictures I looked up of bee balm. I like the flowers on that, but no flowers so far on mine, I am waiting to see if it does flower.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Look up mint and stinging nettle. If it has a square stem it will be in that general category. Crushed leaves will provide a smell that gives you some clues. Bee balm also falls into this group.

Thank you, I think you are right. It looks closest to stinging nettle and also, we have another kind of mint in the opposite garden bed so that is very possible. It's been raining here all week so I haven't had a chance to break a leaf and smell it yet.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you, I think you are right. It looks closest to stinging nettle and also, we have another kind of mint in the opposite garden bed so that is very possible. It's been raining here all week so I haven't had a chance to break a leaf and smell it yet.
The stinging nettle in the Pacific Northwest looks a little different from this pic. I'm not sure what you have there, but I love stinging nettle when it's young and anything in the mint family is yummy too!

Reaction score
Country
United States
The stinging nettle in the Pacific Northwest looks a little different from this pic. I'm not sure what you have there, but I love stinging nettle when it's young and anything in the mint family is yummy too!

Hmmm, once I figure out if it is safe to try, I'll have to look up recipes....or make Mojitos

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, I was able to go out and squeeze one of the leaves between my fingers today to see what it smells like. It has a fabulously wonderful herb scent but I still can't identify which herb. It isn't quite minty, but my husband thinks maybe oregano. I am even more confused now but it smells really good! I got a picture of the stems, but the leaves are fuzzier than they appear in this picture. Thanks for all your help.

Attachments

• 20210507_181911.jpg
    20210507_181911.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 62

Ask a Question