What's this plant? Herb or weed? Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
What's this plant? Herb or weed? Thanks.

Attachments

• 2019-09-18.jpeg
    2019-09-18.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 151
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looks a lot like a chili pequin plant. Bite into one of the green balls and if it is warm this is what it is. If it is a pequin or tepin fertilize it now and take care of it during cold weather. Where you live it will grow into a small tree with proper care.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It looks like nightshade to me so perhaps trying one of the berries is not a good idea.
I didn't mean for the poster to eat it. Just stick your tongue to the inside and see if its hot. It does look a lot like nightshade but the leaves on the nightshade I am familiar with are a little bit different. But you're right. Don't ingest it. Just crush one of the green balls and rub your armpit. You will soon know.:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Fair enough Chuck. :) I just didn't want you held responsible for poisoning someone. There are various types of nightshade and the leaves differ slightly.

Openoffice - if it's nightshade the berries will turn black.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Looks a lot like a chili pequin plant. Bite into one of the green balls and if it is warm this is what it is. If it is a pequin or tepin fertilize it now and take care of it during cold weather. Where you live it will grow into a small tree with proper care.

Thanks Chuck. I don't think it's chili pequin plant. Since chili pequin plant's fruit is facing upward but this one is facing downward. also this one has very fragile trunk more like grass not tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Fair enough Chuck. :) I just didn't want you held responsible for poisoning someone. There are various types of nightshade and the leaves differ slightly.

Openoffice - if it's nightshade the berries will turn black.

Thanks Sheal for reminding. I won't try it before 100% confirmed it's safe. :)
Yes, I think it's The American Nightshade
Edible Plants: Black nightshade

Last edited:

Ask a Question