9a
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Bee keeping is becoming very popular among urban gardeners too. It is not uncommon to find mini hives on the balconies of apartments. I am not sure how neighbors feel about this practice, but is a great way to become a little more self sustaining.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Bee keeping is becoming very popular among urban gardeners too. It is not uncommon to find mini hives on the balconies of apartments. I am not sure how neighbors feel about this practice, but is a great way to become a little more self sustaining.
I didn't realise it was possible to have bees on such a small scale Rosyrain. How facscinating. The fresh honey would be beautiful:).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I didn't realise it was possible to have bees on such a small scale Rosyrain. How facscinating. The fresh honey would be beautiful:).
I read a memoir last summer about a husband and wife who took up urban farming as they were poor and living in California. It was a good book, but I don't remember the name of it as I borrowed it from the library. They had bee hives on their back deck, cultivated cheese in their closet, and even had a big and chickens in their back yard. It really was a fascinating read.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I read a memoir last summer about a husband and wife who took up urban farming as they were poor and living in California. It was a good book, but I don't remember the name of it as I borrowed it from the library. They had bee hives on their back deck, cultivated cheese in their closet, and even had a big and chickens in their back yard. It really was a fascinating read.
Sounds like a very inventive couple. Good on them(y)

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I made a beehive last year that I use to collect honey. It produces enough honey for my family. I wanted to add another one, so that I can get honey for sale. Honey is good for our health.

Reaction score
This is wonderful! I would love to get into beekeeping, but my fiance is terribly allergic to bees. It's incredible what such a small insect can do. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh gosh that looks amazing. I've always been fascinated with beekeeping. Someday I'll get my own place coupled with a great garden and go for it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I cannot imagine how you care for the bees because I know that they sting. But we love honey and we always buy a bottle. My husband takes honey in the monring right after waking up. He said that is good for his throat. We still have to taste fresh honey, the real one because we know that what we buy is not that fresh and not that pure. I'm glad that the bees there have their umbrellas to protect them from the rains, hahahaaa.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Honeybees can sting, but don't unless they feel threatened. The secret is to move slowly, not disturb the bees when most of them are at home in the hive, and the beekeepers don't wear perfume, scented deodorants, or hair spray.
Grocery honey may be a blend of honeys from different countries. All honey is "pure" because it is antiseptic, doesn't rot, and can be stored for years (it does solidify, but it is still honey and can be liquified by heating).
Archaeologists found jars of honey in some of the pyramid tombs, and it was perfectly edible after several thousand years. I don't know what archaeologist was brave enough to taste it, but archaeologists are wild and crazy guys!
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...QWFvR6lB0iip_DuzegFyPg&bvm=bv.104819420,d.eXY

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Honeybees can sting, but don't unless they feel threatened. The secret is to move slowly, not disturb the bees when most of them are at home in the hive, and the beekeepers don't wear perfume, scented deodorants, or hair spray.
Grocery honey may be a blend of honeys from different countries. All honey is "pure" because it is antiseptic, doesn't rot, and can be stored for years (it does solidify, but it is still honey and can be liquified by heating).
Archaeologists found jars of honey in some of the pyramid tombs, and it was perfectly edible after several thousand years. I don't know what archaeologist was brave enough to taste it, but archaeologists are wild and crazy guys!
That's incredible. Honey thousands of years old. :) They say you learn something new everyday.

Ask a Question