Honey; side effects.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Over the last four weeks Bron has been extremely ill; running to the toilet; nausea; tummy pain and feeling really unwell; I visited a late night pharmacy at 11:30pm and was sold six capsules and because Bron is on blood pressure tablets the pharmacist said rehydration medication couldn't be used but to pop next door and buy Lucozade which I did. Bron took two capsules immediately and as if by magic she finally slept. A few days later Bron was as bad as ever but now she had four capsules remaining it was a case of an action replay; last Friday Bron was incredibly ill and by now had used all the capsules; time for me to step in and I called out our doctor who visited Friday afternoon.

Bron shouldn't have been taking the capsules and she should have been taking rehydration medication; the nurse visited this Monday and took a blood sample so Bron now waits for the results.

Seeing Bron so ill really upset and distressed me; I started to think what Bron consumes that I don't consume and spent time browsing the web; high strength peppermint capsules looked OK so were ignored; Bron has been taking lots of honey in her tea; here's just an example of what I found;

Bron immediately stopped using the honey and what a pleasure it is to have my lovely Bron looking happy again; she's feeding all the local moggies as I type. Bron had been putting honey in her boiling hot tea; the doctor took her blood pressure and said it was low; Bron is already on blood pressure tablets so looking at the video honey also lowers blood pressure; of course we could be totally wrong about honey being the cause of the trouble but everything sure points towards it. The worse Bron became the more honey she used thinking it to be beneficial to her.

I thought I'd add this for interest and wondered if Bron was alone in this; it's been a terrible month?

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I started reading, but then got distracted by how many times you said "Bron".:LOL:

Well mentioned and of course you're right; I'm turning into a parrot; normally I read before posting but I'm finding this retirement lark rather exhausting with too few hours in a day to get everything done so I'm charging around from getting up to going to bed. (y):D:D

We always considered honey to be highly beneficial to health so this came as a surprise. :(

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I am caught sideways by that video. I suppose anything so anti bacterial and antifungal has components unknown to me that could be turned into a negative given correct conditions. Thank you @Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to hear you and Bron have been ill recently @Colin, but glad to hear you're doing better now (y)

I'd take that video with a pinch of salt - there are no sources etc and it has been uploaded by someone who has also uploaded a video called 'How to get a flat tummy' which always makes me suspicious. I'm not saying the information is wrong, just that we have no way of knowing whether it's right.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks Becky. (y)

I'm sure you're right but Bron has been really ill indeed for a month and now feels so much better; she's suffered tummy pains for a long time and put this down to side effects from her blood pressure tablets; when the doctor visited he didn't prescribe anything to stop her running to the toilet because this would have interfered with the blood test but he did prescribe rehydration powder and also tablets to be placed under her tongue when she felt nauseous.

Stopping taking the honey though appears to have cleared the problem completely much to our relief and after being so ill no way is she going to take more honey just to see if the trouble flares up again; so far so good. (y)

Thanks for adding the link roadrunner; when I clicked on it this box popped up so I left it alone. :(

upload_2018-5-25_12-42-18.png

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
when I clicked on it this box popped up so I left it alone. :(

That looks harmless, cookies are just something sites use to remember info about you (for example, which products you have looked at etc). There's an EU regulation which requires those sites to inform each user about cookies, it's annoying but doesn't mean it's a bad site (y)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Esther; I try my best to look after Bron; she certainly looks after me. (y):):):) I think Bron has finished completely with honey but as you rightly say there are lots of different types of honey and generally its accepted honey is good for us; I can't stand the stuff so never use it. I'm dairy intolerant but I find dark chocolate agrees with me so I enjoy a small bar each day usually Moser Roth 85% Cocoa bought from our local Aldi; at Christmas I buy two big boxes of Black Magic chocolates and scoff these over Christmas and New Year other than this I have a very healthy diet never eating "fast foods" or visiting restaurants; I need to be very careful with anything I eat or drink; being hooked up to lots of tubes in A&E isn't my idea of the way to spend three days as I did in July 2016 when a friend baked me a cake using dairy chocolate by mistake; she made me lots of cakes previously but a simple mistake cost me dearly; I'm colour blind and it being the usual Yorkshire black hole I never noticed the difference; I sure was ill and it took six months to fully recover.

I bought Bron 30 pyrography blanks through eBay as a surprise prezzie for her these being slices from a branch still retaining the bark at about 2" diameter. Yesterday what a lovely thing to see on the corner of my desk; Bron had quietly thought of me; I'm lucky. (y)

Thanks Becky; so much information is now known about us much of it without our knowledge I don't even trust cookies unless with a brew. :D

I've just knocked off for a brew; retirement is wonderful when I manage a bit of it; I'm woodturning; whoopee. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00628.JPG
DSC00629.JPG

Last edited:

Ask a Question