We have honey!!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We harvested honey from our two hives this past weekend. We feared there would not be enough honey for us and the bees, too because of the very rainy spring we had. Bees carrying tiny umbrellas just can't gather as much nectar and pollen!
But, and we are so happy, we harvested a good amount--30 pounds--which is about average for us.
Hives 2.jpg
Bottled Honey 2.jpg

We also have some beeswax that we are cleaning and will be making votive candles. Beeswax candles smell so delightful when they are snuffed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Cute image, bees which umbrellas. Glad they managed to stay on task in spite of the rain. I'm sure it's very special honey. Honey on buttered toast, yummy and your fresh honey even better!(y) And by bees wax candle light. Couldn't get any better!:love:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Never heard about bees with umbrellas.
Wow Great job. You must be having many flowers in your garden and may be trees too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That's fantastic news, congratulations! (y) How long have you been keeping bees?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is a lot of delicious looking honey and what a money saver! Where I live a jar like that would cost at least $15. Honey is practically worth it's weight in gold! Do you get stung a lot while tending your bees?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Cmete, it isn't difficult, just expensive. The woodenware, the starter hive (called a "nuc"), and the equipment (suit, veil, smoker, etc.) runs up quite a bill quickly. Also, you need to study up on bees and beekeeping before getting started.
Becky, we have had bees for five years. The first year we got just enough honey for ourselves, since we had new hives and they weren't up to full strength. Now we get enough honey to sell some, and are recouping some of our initial expenses.
Rosy, we occasionally get stung, but not often. Our bees are Italian, a gentle strain of bees. We also don't bother them often, never on an overcast day (everyone is home and not happy), and we move slowly and don't wear any perfume, hair spray, scented deodorant, etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm impressed! I remember buying honey with the honeycomb and chewing the comb like gum, when I was a kid.

However I am mildly phobic (is that an oxymoron?) about bees because I was swarmed and very badly stung as a child. At one point my parents considered setting up a beehive but I told them I'd run away from home if they did that. So I appreciate them but preferably at a distance! Just looking at your first photo gives me goosebumps.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Congrats on your honey harvest! I am also phobic about the bees and could never have a hive.

Reaction score
That looks like some really high quality honey, good job :D I'd love to taste truly organic bee honey. I believe the one we are getting from the super market is not even organic. My mom says it certainly doesn't taste like so. Sadly I don't see myself keeping bees anytime son :p

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
To have truly organic honey, a beekeeper would have to have total control of an area three miles around a hive. Bees forage for three miles from home, and pick up heaven knows what from yards, gardens, and fields. There is no such thing as "organic" honey--the USDA has no definition of "organic" honey, and "organic" honey imported from Brazil is organic because Brazil says so.
Honey is naturally pure, and is even used in wound dressings, and has been for millennia (Roman soldiers carried honey to dress battle wounds). Honey found in the pyramids was still edible (although I can't imagine being brave enough to try it!). I guess the Egyptians wanted a sweet afterlife.
We have encountered people who are deathly afraid of bees, and I can understand their reaction, especially after an experience like yours, Beth. Sorry about the goosebumps!:oops:
If you want to read more about organic honey, here is a link https://brookfieldfarmhoney.wordpress.com/2012/01/03/usda-organic-honey-what-does-it-mean/
We could actually label ours organic, as long as we didn't sell $5000 or more of honey (not likely!).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Could there be anything better than this honey of yours? Look so delicious, and the process behind collecting this much honey is very fascinating and amazing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Icy, the next time I spend two hours cranking the extractor, I'll remember you think it's fascinating and invite you to Texas to get "cranky"!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What's funny is it is only bees (and sensibly, yellow jackets etc) that I'm a bit squirmy about. Spiders and beetles etc I don't mind at all. In fact usually I cup spiders in my hands and carry them outside. Unless they are nasty insects like fleas, mosquitoes, flies etc I don't like killing them. Non-venomous snakes don't scare me either.

Although yesterday early morning I spotted an alarmingly large spider on one of the curtains. The body was bulbous and at least 1/3 of an inch across, with really long legs. Large enough to be a bit scary. I squished it instead of picking it up and carrying it outside. (RIP, spider.) Then I looked it up online and it was probably for the best. Appears to have been a yellow sac spider, with "bites readily" and depending on the type, the bites can be extremely painful.

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Well done! 'They look amazing, and they obviously tastes amazing as well! Also, bees with umbrellas, what a funny picture!

Ask a Question