Watering seeds in a heated propergator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All!

I'm back after 8 months and ready to garden again! Today I am going to plant some pea, courgette and chilli pepper seeds.

I got a heated propergator after reading several reviews. My question is:

How often do you water seeds in one of these proper gators?

My plan was to moisten the compost before using then plant the seeds.

After that I'm not sure how often they need water as never used a heated propergator before.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20220320_150405.jpg
    IMG_20220320_150405.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mine also has a tray like that with separate seed trays. The clear plastic covers help keep a fair bit of moisture in, without them things can dry out quite quickly. I usually water mine from underneath, the tray warms the water and the seeds don't get doused in cold water. I try and do it in the morning, little and often, not too dry, not sodden. I move the gap between trays along and use a jug to pour a little between each rather than lots in one place.
I would doubt that the peas need the extra warmth, the main thing with them is to protect them from mice. It seems a bit early for courgettes, I would be thinking May in England, have a read of the packet. Chili and tomato the propagator is absolute tops for.

PS Soak the peas overnight before planting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ho

Thank you for the response-I was wrong, it's actually the sweet peppers, chilli peppers and red onions I've just planted! The courgettes, peas and tomatoes are April/May as you noted. I have my packets in date order!

The propergator warnings say do not get water on it so I'm assuming I can't add to that; however I could take them out of it and sit them in a tray of water each day for 30 mins or so???

Right now the soil is moist, not wet.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mine looks like yours, it also has a label saying do not get this unit wet, but the top is a solid tray that can't leak to the electrics underneath, so I have always assumed it meant don't get that bit with electrics in it wet. The tray is almost bound to get a bit wet even if you water from the top. I use a jug for precision in directing the water so I don't spill and get the bottom heating part wet.

Ps, worth planting a few tomatoes now and more later so you get a succession

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Garland Super 7 windowsill propagator with clear plastic tops on each little seed tray. Before sowing l put each tray of compost into a shallow bowl of tepid water and wait until the water is visible on the surface of the compost. ( usually takes a few minutes ). This means it is thoroughly wet. Sow seeds as normal . l usually add a thin layer of fine vermiculite on top ,( unless the seed requires light to germinate) , it all helps to keep the compost moist.
Keep the tops on until you can see signs of life , then remove the lids.
Leaving them on for even a day more can result in leggy seedlings . Leave the trays in the propagator , with tops off , until all have germinated .
Lift the seed trays daily to judge their weight and place in tepid water if they are not nice and heavy.

Ask a Question