Bottom watering seeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I'm using extra seeds to experiment with start plants indoors and be good at it by next winter/spring. I started some watering from the top and they have sprouted and are outside now, so far so good. But now I'm trying to start some tomatoes and jalapenos and have been bottom watering them, and the soil feels like the bottom of a swamp. I'm very skeptical that they will sprout due to the soil conditions/moisture.
Any advice?
Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When starting seeds I first saturate the soil in the cell or container where the seed will be planted. I then place 2 or 3 seeds on top of the saturated soil. Then I sprinkle enough soil on top to cover the seeds and pat it down so as to make good soil contact. Then I sprinkle whole ground cornmeal over it which will prevent damping off. Then I seal the top with cellophane or saran wrap making it like a terrarium. I place it in the warmest place I can find where it isn't windy and wait for the seeds to sprout. As soon as they do I remove the saran wrap and place them in a warm sunny spot. Then I water from the bottom..always. BTW it will take the peppers a lot longer to sprout. When the seeds are up and they first true leaves appear snip off the weakest looking plant in each cell

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Maybe you can skip a day or two and allow the soil to soak whatever moisture and water in there? Just a thought!

Ask a Question