WATERING Questions...The Dripline?

Loose Screw

Master Weed Puller
Reaction score
Country
United States
Drip Line...Dripline...
Do You use it, when do you use it, what plants do you use it on?
How do you use it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Never had any luck with drip lines or soaker hose, except bubblers at intervals. They always end up clogging. I use the small sprinkler type fittings unless it's for larger individual plants and shrubs. Also drip and soaker hoses just wet the ground under them in marrow strips unless you use way too much water. Another good idea is to get some of the little shut off valves that go in the 1/4 pipe. Then you can zone it and not waste water on places that are not curretl growing anything.

Loose Screw

Master Weed Puller
Reaction score
Country
United States
and there is this 'Drip Line"...

1698871306146.png

Do you water bushes at the Dripline also? Do I water at the trunks of my Texas Sages or at the Drip Line?

Last edited:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I water trees at the center trunk using very low volume for long duration. I feed them fertilizer along the drip line in late winter. Works for me!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like to dig a shallow ring around trees under the drip line and water there. This works better for established trees. Watering near the trunks is something I always try to avoid.

Back in SoCal, I had a Wonderful Pomegranate tree in a bush form. That too I used the above method.

Steve @ Celtic Farm

Flower Farmer | Master Gardener | Earth Scientist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Drip tape is a fantastic tool I use in my garden and on our flower farm for efficient watering. It slowly releases water right , which is great for conserving water and improving plant health.

I tend to use it during the growing season when plants need consistent water, especially in the heat of summer. Early mornings or late afternoons are the best times to run it to minimize evaporation.

It's particularly useful for row crops like tomatoes, peppers, and leafy greens, as well as for densely planted beds and perennial shrubs, and I have recently deployed it in my raised beds.

To set it up, I lay the tape along plant rows or through beds, sometimes using ground staples to keep it in place. Connecting it to a water source with a pressure regulator and a filter helps maintain the right flow and prevents clogs. Turning on the water then delivers a steady supply where it's most needed—right to the roots.

It's an easy way to ensure your plants are well-watered with minimal effort and water waste.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The drip line is where water drips off the outer leaves of a plant and is where most of the water and nutrient uptake occurs.
If you have mostly bare soil it is where you want to apply water and fertilizer. In a more fully planted landscape the drip lines of the plants overlap and you can’t really use that technique.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
and there is this 'Drip Line"...

View attachment 100483

Do you water bushes at the Dripline also? Do I water at the trunks of my Texas Sages or at the Drip Line?
That's true for a house with no gutters. It would be rare indeed for any plant to have such dense foliage that all the rain runs out and off to the "drip line". Stand under a tree in the rain for a while and you will find the water soon percolated down through it.

Ask a Question