Watering and Thinking

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm wore out and resting. Got some watered.

Few Bug problems but seen Praying Mantis and Lady Bugs.

Tomatoes at their peak but I know they will produce a lot loger. Making wonder if I want to grow a few through Winter. All ready have more than enough.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm wore out and resting. Got some watered.

Few Bug problems but seen Praying Mantis and Lady Bugs.

Tomatoes at their peak but I know they will produce a lot loger. Making wonder if I want to grow a few through Winter. All ready have more than enough.

big rockpile
Dont think I wouldn't grow them all of the time if I could under normal means.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Growing them all the time does not mean you'll get the same quality all the time.
There is that old favourite, green tomato chutney.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I sowed a few 'House' tomatoes this Feb. They've been growing indoors on a set of deep shelves that I've set up in front of a window. The whole shelving unit is encased in silver sheeting (other than the window side obviously). In the winter I had heating wires in there and solar lights. I've been harvesting tomatoes since late May, which as you kknow headfulofbees is very early for us.

House tomatoes are apparently indeterminate - they'll keep producing for years. Yet they don't grow big (1 - 2ft tops) so can stay on a windowsill for ever. Not sure how that works, but apparently that's the deal. Some people have had the same plant for 10 years and they're still producing fruit.

We have solar for the house so whilst there's not really enough to run the house in winter our electricity is much cheaper than most. I'm thinking I should be able to have fresh tomatoes all year around if I supplement sunlight in the winter months for a few hours.

Ask a Question