Watering garden with sink water?

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of watering their garden with sink water? Ie., the dirty sink water post dishes? I've been told to do this as a way to save water and to help my plants grow. I use biodegradable detergent for my dishes, so I'm less concerned about the environmental impact, but is this good for my plants? Could it hurt them?

Jed

Reaction score
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Some places restrict grey water use, but my feeling is what the authorities don't know won't hurt you. I have a dishpan that I keep rinse water in. I've started using that a little, and I have even started filling the pan when I have to run the tap and wait for the water to get warm.

The plain water sits and can be put into a container for watering after the chlorine dissipates, or I can reuse it for cleaning. The used rinse water can be used outside without harm because there is barely any trace of dish soap.

Jed

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of watering their garden with sink water? Ie., the dirty sink water post dishes? I've been told to do this as a way to save water and to help my plants grow. I use biodegradable detergent for my dishes, so I'm less concerned about the environmental impact, but is this good for my plants? Could it hurt them?

I've unfortunately run out of available creek water today so I need to use my grey water on my gardens. I've just taken my own advise and ordered a diverter.
I wouldn't have considered one at all if it wasn't for your post. :)

Reaction score
oh yes, of course. this is one of the old-fashioned way of watering the plants in your garden. In my place, if you could get to visit some old houses, you will find the gardens at the backyard and people would wash their vessels there and they would let the water flow towards the garden. This was the most efficient way to use the water or I would rather say, a way of re-using water without wasting it. The plants would get sufficient minerals from the water and they would grow as healthy as it would when you feed them with good water.

Jed

Reaction score
It's unfortunate it's not encouraged more. If it's done right for instance using drip irrigation it could work well. Especially in orchards.

Reaction score
I've used rinse water from the dishes before, and bathwater that I scooped up with a bucket the low tech way, and I've also just put a big ,empty plastic barrel outside and gathered rainwater. We're lucky to live in a part of the world where water is plentiful. It's a shame to waste it.

Reaction score
If its dish water without any detergents then I do use it although I understand people not doing it more often due to their upbringing and circumstances. It’s part of normal life in some villages away from civilization. For example my in-laws live in a tiny village on the boarders of Thailand and Myanmar and their dishwater has been the main water source for their garden at the front of their house and the plants are thriving! It must be down to the fact that the in-laws like their food and so wash up a lot!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have used the dish water if it is not greasy or a lot of soap in the water to water my garden. I try to use gray water when ever I can to recycle water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a bypass on my washing machine and in the warmer months it gets emptied onto my lawn and the grass is extremely green where it goes out .I want to do it to the bathtub and shower also .Easy to do ,I did it my self and most expensive part was the ball valve .It cost over 20 dollars for the big one ,but worth every penny in my opinion .I have a septic tank so this water does not get wasted going into that

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I went to the farmer's market over the weekend for my weekly box and there were lots of greens. The turnips and beets still had their leafy tops so I washed and trimmed those and put them in plastic zip bags with a paper towel. After thoroughly rinsing those as well as the chard in collander over a large pot, I took the water outside and used it for the plants. I love being able to do that and not just waste the water.

Reaction score
I've never considered using dish water but then again, my dishwasher does most if not all the work. I've been told that dish detergent can kill plants so I guess this is why I never thought to use the water like this. It is a clever idea.

Reaction score
We have experienced many droughts here and had to take severe measures to keep our garden going during the dry seasons.
You can safely recycle your dish, shower and washing machine water if you use biodegradable soaps and detergents. It won't hurt your plants. You can get excellent products at your local health food store or they can put you in touch with special stores or online sites that sell poison-free washing detergents.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I think there's not problem in doing so because I do the same. :) Happy Gardening.

Ask a Question