Water lilies

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love the white one!... And the pink one!... And the violet one!...:p Really, I can't decide which one of them is the prettiest. And I should be able to decide since I have room only for one plant:(

Reaction score
I have lost track of this thread.. waterlilies need more root space.. and lots of sun through the year. I have a concrete pot in which I had a couple of plants earlier.. but the fact that it took up too much space had left me with no choice.. and the little froggies is the house were not so welcome.. LOL.. I am hoping to have this desire of my hear fulfilled as soon as I get my dream home built.. we were there yesterday and I was deciding where to have my waterlilies.. just imagining which plants would go where was so much fun.
I love yellow and pink water likes. These are the common ones here.. the purples aren't very common.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have been thinking about creating a mini pond for water lilies and irises outdoors. I am not sure it would be a good idea for me to have water plants indoors, and I don't really have a lot of space anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've found some pictures of water lilies growing in pots, I think it looks beautiful:D :

DPS%20Bali%20Ubud%20Bedulu%20Gubah%20Bali%20Exclusive%20Villas%20water%20lilies%20in%20stone%20pot%203008x2000.jpg

211936293_678f928b40.jpg

But I really dream about having a real pond:

grzybienie_lilie_wodne_nenufary.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Claudine, maybe you can do something like this

dsc_0070.jpg

Or even this:

diy-portable-outdoor-water-garden-11.jpg

I would like to do some with floating plants and mosquito fish. Have you seen those vases with the plant in the top and the fish at the bottom? I considered doing that because it's low maintenance, but I would need a good place to sit it where it would get moved or bumped around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
ChanellG, the first picture is so beautiful, it's just perfect. It's exactly what I want:D . And I'll grow white water lilies in it. Or yellow ones. Or pink ones:p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Good luck with it Claudine! I don't think I have enough light indoors to be able to do it. I'm scrambling as it is to make sure the food plants I have now are having their needs met. I've been watching the areas that get light and how it travels across the room and I would have to give up all of my cooking and food prep space, lol.

I'll just have to wait until after winter and see about setting up a pond in a galvanized tub. I'd like to do something similar to this, but with different plants:
three-potted-ponds-227.jpg

Reaction score
Snails, slugs and frogs come along with those water lilies. My dad's pond always used to have these little froggies who thought it very polite to hop in and say Hi any time of the day.. this used to freak my mom out while we kids kind of enjoyed the sight.. :D
I was at the university and found some deep orange water lilies.. I haven't seen the likes of them before. I must take some pictures.. the next time I go there... I didn't carry my camera as I left in a hurry for a lecture.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Snails, slugs and frogs come along with those water lilies. My dad's pond always used to have these little froggies who thought it very polite to hop in and say Hi any time of the day.. this used to freak my mom out while we kids kind of enjoyed the sight.. :D

Maddie, the little baby froggies are so cute; they are a fascinating site for any child. The first time you see this tiny, dark little thing hop and realize it's a baby frog is very exciting, lol. Later we would see adult frogs flattened on the road where they'd been run over cars -- not so cute. I used to see them quite often when I was a child. When I had my first apartment there was a large man-made pond on the patio. At night you would hear this sound similar to ducks honking; far from cute, it was very obnoxious, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love frogs:D . There is a big lake near our university and my boyfriend and I, we often go there to watch the frogs, it's fun and very relaxing. I like the sound they make. I miss summer so much!
I'm not so sure if I want snails and slugs in my dream pond though:p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Oh, they're so beautiful!:D I can't decide which color I like more, they're both so pretty. I also really like they grow in pairs, it's quite romantic, it looks like flowers in love:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Tmann They're lovely!

@Claudine, yes you definitely want snails, especially if you use a metal or ceramic container. Just like with an aquarium, the snails will help to keep the algae down in the pond, otherwise the water will be really nasty after a while. There is also a fish you might want as well, it's called an algae eater, though I think there may be more than one variety.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
@Claudine, yes you definitely want snails, especially if you use a metal or ceramic container. Just like with an aquarium, the snails will help to keep the algae down in the pond, otherwise the water will be really nasty after a while. There is also a fish you might want as well, it's called an algae eater, though I think there may be more than one variety.

I remember I had an algae eater when I was a child, I was fascinated by it but at the same time I thought it's a really ugly fish:eek:
But you are right, I haven't thought about algae...I guess I could have a few snails in my pond...but not too many of them:p

Reaction score
@ tmaan those waterlilies are really pretty...
I wish I could have a couple of plants and for me they would be purple.. deep purple... with a few whites for contrast... I checked the prices in our nursery and gosh they were really expensive.... i was not sure if I could afford to experiment with them.. You just need one and you will have many baby plants from it... I need the space though...

Ask a Question