Water lilies

Reaction score
I love water lilies. I was at the nursery yesterday and looking at the water lilies made me want to take one of those plants home.. The fact that it needs some space and lots of sunshine would eliminate all my other plants from my balcony.. I had to come home with just a few pictures ... does any one here grow water lilies.

Attachments

• purple water lily.jpg
    purple water lily.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 930
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
They remind me of this well-known Claude Monet's painting. I wish I had a pond so I could grow them. Water lilies are so beautiful! And so romantic:) . This picture you posted is so pretty, I'm always happy to see some bees - there are not so many of them anymore:(

water-lilies-3.JPG

Reaction score
Water lilies are gorgeous. I was looking for a few images and trying to see if it were possible to grow water lilies indoors and I came across this fabulous image..

IMG_4360_w800m.jpg

Stunning, to say the least, and the pothos is also rooted in the water and the owner has small fish in the aquarium. Love this picture!!!!

IMG_4362_h600m.jpg

Reaction score
There was one time when I was very into water lilies. I had a vase about three feet wide and one foot high. I filled the vase with some mud at the bottom and added water to the brim. Then I put in a couple of water lilies. Apparently the water lilies came in many colors. Purple is very common. I remember getting some white ones, too.

Reaction score
Wow Victor Leigh, I never would have thought of doing that. I bet it was a great conversation piece while you had it. I do wonder though why you gave it up because you say, 'at one time'...

Reaction score
Well, that vase was made of cement and it was not exactly the kind of thing that was easily moved. I had to leave it behind when I moved house. My friend has it now and he's still growing water lilies in it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Taskeinc, this aquarium is beyond beautiful! Now I'm thinking about growing water lilies indoors too:D
Victor Leigh -do you think it's possible to grow them in a smaller vase? I have very limited space:(

Reaction score
Taskeinc, this aquarium is beyond beautiful! Now I'm thinking about growing water lilies indoors too:D
Victor Leigh -do you think it's possible to grow them in a smaller vase? I have very limited space:(

If you have a smaller vase, then you will have to decide on just one plant. Water lilies need quite a bit of water surface to spread their leaves. Just one small plant can use up something like a couple of square feet of water surface. What you see in the picture here is just one plant:
WaterLilyWFPR_P254.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Lovinglife - I dream about a pond like this! It's beautiful and so big:D
Victor Leigh - thank you for your response. I think one plant would be enough for me. It's definitely better than none:)

Reaction score
Thank you! I totally adore my pond even though it still needs work. I have about 12 Koi, about half of which are probably 18 inches long. I used to go sit there and feed the fish in the summer, but this year I was so busy my pond time suffered, oh well, thats life, at least I fed the fish, just didn't get to sit and relax..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Do you have frogs in it? I don't know why, but although I'd never touch a frog, I like hearing them. Near my university, there is a little lake and frogs live there - I love sitting there and observing them, it's very relaxing:) Oh, I just love sitting by the water. I want to have a pond too:D

Reaction score
I love frogs too. As a kid I would catch them in the ditch, play with them for awhile then turn them loose...I was lonely :), no none in the pond yet, don't know why, but I do have a couple toads....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Toads aren't as nice as frogs:p . I hope frogs will move to your pond soon. It's so much fun to look at them when they're putting their little heads out of water:p

Edible+Frog%252C+Germany.jpg

Ask a Question