Water in morning or evening?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Which is better? I always thought it was better in the evening because then the water soaks in and helps the plants for the sun the next day, instead of immediately drying out in the heat. But I keep seeing things about watering in the morning…

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I prefer evening, as you mentioned the top doesn't dry from the sun and has all night for all the plant roots from top to bottom to soak it in. Also brings out the dew worms to work their magic. They prefer the top wet rather then dry. But also depends on the kind of soil and plants if it's sandy soil with shallow rooted plants the morning is probably better on those real hot days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Watering at night is not good because the water will not evaporate off the plant, which will invite problems such fungus, mold and mildew.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Watering at night is not good because the water will not evaporate off the plant, which will invite problems such fungus, mold and mildew.
I could see that if someone is spray watering. Not so much if it's watering the soil without spraying it on the plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I agree that watering in the morning is better. How do you water strawberries and small shrubs without wetting them. Even watering fruit trees the trunk can get wet which can also cause more serious issues than fungus.

However, do whatever works for you. I can't always water in the evening but in my opinion it's a better practice.

MOD

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I agree that watering in the morning is better. How do you water strawberries and small shrubs without wetting them. Even watering fruit trees the trunk can get wet which can also cause more serious issues than fungus.

However, do whatever works for you. I can't always water in the evening but in my opinion it's a better practice.

MOD
Really depends where you live and what you grow. I have never had to water any of my fruit trees or shrubs but I get a good balance of rain and sun where I am for stuff like that. And I don't water directly on anything I water the sides along the rows unless I am doing a foliar spray.

Mornings I am too rushed to chug coffee and shower to be In the garden lol! As you say whatever works.

I've always had much better crops watering at night but again that is to do with my temperatures and humidity.. when budding plants grow more at night, they grow foliage during the day. Roots at night. So in my mind there is more growth going on at night then during the day and that is when they soak up the most water, while growing. But that's just my outlook and I'm sure some plants are different.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I’ve done either or depending on my schedule. When I’m not working I tend to water everyone outside that needs it around 6am. It takes me a couple of hours because of course I find other things that need doing also :LOL:
If I’m busy and don’t have time in the AM then I water in the evening.
As long as I’m not overhead watering and splattering everyone with mud it hasn’t caused a problem.
Our summers tend to be hot and dry and every year it gets hotter and drier.
A short decade ago June was a rainy month.
We haven’t had a drop of rain in over a month now.
I’d say if it’s hot and dry to water when you have the time and just avoid mid day or super late evening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Another reason I only water in the AM is because this is the time that a plant tells you it needs water. It will be slightly droopy. In the heat of the day plants will droop when they don't need water just to slow down transpiration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Another reason I only water in the AM is because this is the time that a plant tells you it needs water. It will be slightly droopy. In the heat of the day plants will droop when they don't need water just to slow down transpiration.
Good point. Never thought of that.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I don't really like my plants to ever get to the point that they droop from lack of water, I think it's better to keep a daily check on the soil moisture level and water accordingly to that and weather forecast.

It makes me wish I would have made two small seperate gardens side by side this year each with the same plants, soil, etc and watered one in the evening and one in the morning as needed throughout the season just to see if there is any significant difference in the name of science lol.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
In Nature, it can rain at any time morning, noon or night. Garden plants must be able to handle that. So, although I generally water early for convenience, I just don't find that the watering time of day is that big of an issue. Much bigger fish to fry when it comes to gardening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you for the chlorine/chloramine video. Very informative and straight forward.
When I can’t collect rain water I buy spring water for my indoor plants.
No need to do that anymore.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think it's better to keep a daily check on the soil moisture level and water accordingly to that and weather forecast.
A daily check and watering invites shallow watering that only keeps the top two or three inches damp, I prefer to water heavily every few days, less work too, just drop the hose in and leave it for a bit.
In Nature, it can rain at any time morning, noon or night
But not when the sun is out, water on leaves in bright sunlight can cause a lot of damage, a potential reason for going for the evening.

Ask a Question