War against Aphids

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hello all,
I've recently taken all of my pepper plants in on account of the snow starting to fall. That was 3 days ago, and now there are hundreds of aphids plaguing me. This is not at all even an uncommon occurrence, it seems I am always struggling with aphids. So, I ask you:
What is the most effective thing you've used or done to control or eliminate aphids?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Become a totally organic gardener. Since I became totally organic with my soil amendments and fertilizers the number of insect attacks has dropped to almost zero. I started this about 30 years ago when commercial organic fertilizers first came on the market. Back then it was a continuous battle with aphids, stink bugs and all kinds of beetles. I haven't seen an aphid in my garden in years. About 10 years ago I had a severe stink bug infestation for some reason but it was short-lived. The only thing that I get now are caterpillars. Hornworms, loopers, armyworms, wooly bears, all the usual and sometimes they come by the hundreds. But, they are easily contained with today's remedies. Back in the old days, all we had were dangerous chemicals like malathion and diazinon. The closest thing to today's insecticides was Sevin. But how things have changed during the past 10 years or so. Today's gardener needs only 3 products: Spinosad, Bt and Neem Oil. I still have some of each left and I bought a 16 oz bottle of each, IIRC, 4 years ago. I might have to buy more next year. And my garden is larger than most.
I think that one of the biggest problems gardeners have is either a lack of time or commitment. They do not spend enough time in their gardens observing what is happening. Usually, things do not happen overnight. It takes time for a population of aphids or spider mites or stink bugs to really become a serious threat and when they do become a serious threat it is sometimes too late or the number of insects is overwhelming. One must look at each individual plant, be it a bean plant or a broccoli, asparagus or zucinni. Each plant, both sides of the leaves and the stem must be looked at, at least every week, or those pesky aphids will sneak up and attack. And to answer your question, use either spinosad or soapy water. Aphids are easy to get rid of.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I'll give the soapy water a shot, I've been using an insecticidal soap advertised for aphids but it appears to be rather ineffective. I believe the infestation is only a few days old, many of the aphids aren't even green yet. I believe what happened, is that the aphids had already laid eggs for next spring, and when I took the plants inside they all hatched.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
need lady bugs or praying mantis. get some shipped in.
Im not sure how viable that would be, its all inside my house right now. However, next year thats not a bad idea at all, I think I'll buy some when I put the garden in. I think I know a place locally I can purchase mantises anyway, might be able to find some lady bugs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
IMO you would be better off buying some spinosad instead of insects that will only fly away. What I am saying is that if you observe your plants you can take care of any insects that may cause damage before any damage is done and you will not need anything else.

Ask a Question