Want to share your vegetable soups recipes?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Russian Federation
I did it! I made Minestrone. There is snow on the street, but we have an Italian flavor in the apartment and eat rich hot winter soup. Only I forgot about small paste, but anyway it was tasty!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Potato leek soup!!

Chicken broth
Cubed Russet Potato
Cubed Sweet potato/yam
1" cut Leeks
Cubed white onion
Diced Bacon (optional)
At least 1/2 + stick of butter
Cream (optional)
Sour cream for garnish

Boil the cut up potatoes in the broth for 20 minutes with the butter. Add leeks and cut onion and simmer another 20-25 minutes. Add cooked bacon and a dash of cream. Dinner in less than an hour, serve with sourdough bread! <3

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Sydney, is this a version of "cockaleekie" soup? It certainly sounds delicious! I can see where the sweet potato would add another layer of flavor. I'll have to give this a try.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sydney, is this a version of "cockaleekie" soup? It certainly sounds delicious! I can see where the sweet potato would add another layer of flavor. I'll have to give this a try.

I am not sure, I bought my husband a cookbook called "How to cook everything: For men" and he surprised me with this delicious soup when I came home! The recipe is just called Potato Leek Soup. We made a few revisions with the sour cream and bacon :)

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Since we have new members in the forum, and it's cold again, I thought I'd give this old thread a bump!! :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Good one @MaryMary

last month made 10 cups of turkey bone broth, put in 2 cups freezer containers. my local food store sells turkey backs, ribs and some meat is on it. so simmered a good 5 hours in one onion, some stocks of celery, little salt and a few bay leafs. then raised the fat, and poured out into containers. one of which I used when I roasted my turkey.

Love making carrot soup also, with some ginger root, garlic, and chicken or turkey broth. I have an immersion blender which is great for this type of soup.

and just as an FYI, you all know that you can buy tomato paste in a toothpaste type thing. It keeps long in the fridge after opening, so when you only want a tablespoon or so, just squirt it out, cap it and put back in fridge. easier than the little can, which is some cases is too much.

Happy Soup making all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I love to experiment with soups. You can add or delete anything you want. When you are baking you can't do that. All measurements must be followed closely in baking.

My favorite types of soup contain poultry broth, tomatoes, celery, rice and some form of legume. Then I like to add anything else that suits my mood at the time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Italy
I do love soups as well!
Currently I use lentils, brown rice, dried mushrooms, onion ( not too much :) ) and double concentrated tomato. Sometimes I use soy sauce instead of the tomato. In that case I also add tofu

Ask a Question