Vines

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a splendid old farmhouse on an island in Washington state. Sadly, attached to it is a good-sized and nothing-if-not-ordinary carport of far more recent vintage. While there's a part of me that wants to tear the carport down, the fact is I have a car and thus use it. What I do think is that one or more dripping vines would go a long way towards softening matters yet I am not interested in waiting years for Virginia creeper, say, to climb up and about. Thus do I wonder about emplacing large pots up top, or even have made a long cedar trough to skirt the edges of the flat roof. Has anyone experience with this kind of thing? MUST all vines' roots be in shade? Certainly is the roof exposed to all of the elements, very much including the sun.

Reaction score
Country
United States
By all means, do give containers on your carport roof a try. Hardy succulents would be a good choice if it will be hot and dry there.

However, do plant your vines in the ground around your carport. They will do much better there than in exposed rooftop containers.
Grapes (Vitis sp.) and relatives such as Virginia Creeper (Parthenocssus quinquefolia) would be excellent vines to try.
Indeed, plant a lively blend of several different, vigourous species. Trumpet Creeper (Campsis radicans) would be another fine choice.

Ask a Question