Potato beetles on pumpkin vines

mvona

The butler
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just went to water my pumpkins and found that they were potato beetles all over them. Any suggestions or are they lost?
We are in a drought here in Western New York State.
Thanks for any help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just went to water my pumpkins and found that they were potato beetles all over them. Any suggestions or are they lost?
Thanks for any help
Spray with spinosad, both sides of the leaves

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Thanks for any help

I doubt they are potato beetles. More likely Japanese beetle. I have not known the Colorado Potato Beetle to attack pumpkins. My potatoes not far from you has or had many potato beetles and now the Japanese Beetle has arrived. I pick them off several times a day. No pesticide is harmless in spite of the propaganda.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I doubt they are potato beetles. More likely Japanese beetle. I have not known the Colorado Potato Beetle to attack pumpkins. My potatoes not far from you has or had many potato beetles and now the Japanese Beetle has arrived. I pick them off several times a day. No pesticide is harmless in spite of the propaganda.
Why don't you read the data?

mvona

The butler
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If I can I will take a picture today when I'm at the garden. These are small beetles and striped like a potato beetle.

mvona

The butler
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Dugan and Chuck,
I ended up dusting the leaves of the vines with sevin. And I used a rose duster to do it so I'm sire that whatever that stuff is, it's in there too. These pumpkins are not the eating type and they are well away from the rest of my garden so I'm not so worried about toxins. Good News - it seems to have taken care of the problem. The bugs have not shown up this week at all and vines seem OK. I did take a picture - not a very good one though. There were a lot of these flying around and it was windy.

Attachments

• potato beetle?.JPG
    potato beetle?.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 381

mvona

The butler
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well it seems that I have identified the but incorrectly. I have an infestation of Cucumber Beetles. To a novice like me, they are similar.
I have found an interesting resource, The Midwestern Vegetable Production Guide for Growers 2016. It does list Sevin as a treatment for the Cucumber beetle. and I happen to have a lot of the stuff. I repeat, these are not eating Pumpkins so I'm not worried much about the toxicity. Of course, I don't want to be stupid with the stuff either.
Question: My Sevin is in powder form and I can't tell from reading if Sevin can be mixed with water and applied to the roots? If I understand the bug correctly, that is where it is feeding.
Once again any help is welcome.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
The cucumber beetle is much smaller than the Colorado potato beetle and usually not nearly as numerous. As far as I know the cucumber beetle passes on various fungus and generally does little apparent damage. I have two types of them every year. This year they were not very numerous. They congregate around potatoes, and the squash family plus cucumbers usually in the flowers. They are relatively fast moving and to squish takes a quick grab. One year there was a congregation in the morning in the squash flowers. If they did any damage it was not detected since the Squash Vine Borer destroyed all my squash plants and I haven't grown any since.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?HINIX 19 June 2012 Striped Cucumber Beetles destroyed
This morning about seven, upon checking the squash plants it was observed that there were many Striped Cucumber Beetles congregating within the three open male flowers. Now how to destroy? In the shed I keep a can of Raid to destroy hornet nests when they appear. I fetched the Raid and gave each flower one spray, within about 20 seconds all the beetles were completely dead. The last picture shows the result of the spray, Talk about serendipity! Fifty Striped Cucumber Beetles destroyed in one effort. Up to today, I have only seen then singularly about the garden.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?SERRT 18 June 2012 Striped Cucumber Beetle (Acalymma vittatum (Fabricius)
Inspecting the garden, it was observed two male squash flowers were covered with the Striped Cucumber Beetle. There were about 25 on each flower. I grabbed the flowers complete and immersed it in water to take pictures. I have observed them singularly on various plant mostly the potatoes. They are hard to catch, since they fly quickly.Apparently they are very destructive.
http://www.americangourdsociety.org/FAQ/cucumber_beetle.html More information.

18%20june%202012%20%20cucumber%20beetle%20014_std.jpg

Ask a Question