Vegetables garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
No red squirrel around it was brown sorry.
I'm not in the mountains elevation is 200~
But there are Brown bear's in the mountains near me some wolf's too.
Il need to plant fast growing wood over one of the areas probably the pasture since I don't have sheep and will just get a couple of goat's for milk.
I know the Americans have a willow mutation that grows very fast and is good for wood burning but I don't think I can get it here.
Oak is probably the main tree here too the others I could not name in any language.
It rained a lot last night and the ground is very clay like.
Anyway when is the best time to dig a garden?
I tried it this morning but it was way to wet I was splashing all over the place and it was sticking to my shovel.
Stag beetles not yet but I remember playing with them as a kid but I think it was summer or later in spring idk we have them and I think they are awesome but haven't seen them around.
Butterfly's are out and prunes are going to bloom in 1 week max I can already see the flowers.
Why do you want to dig the garden? I accept that you may have good reason, or that it's an informed choice, but as you've said you're new to this I'm just flagging up that the 'no dig' approach is worth consideration. Instead of digging (which some argue destroys the soil life) just put a couple of inches of compost on top of your beds. The soil life will get to work and take all the goodness down into the deeper layers.

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Why do you want to dig the garden? I accept that you may have good reason, or that it's an informed choice, but as you've said you're new to this I'm just flagging up that the 'no dig' approach is worth consideration. Instead of digging (which some argue destroys the soil life) just put a couple of inches of compost on top of your beds. The soil life will get to work and take all the goodness down into the deeper layers
I can't do 30 square meters of raised beds for patatoes that's why I was digging.
I was thinking il do things like tomatoes, lettuce and peppers in something raised and covere it with a netting.
This year is going to be a mess next year il do better.
It wasn't planned and I'm doing a lot of construction work too.
Il give every method a try and see what works for me what I can learn and get good results with.
Idk the reason I went out digging was because it rained and the ground was soft.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't dig much, and when I do it is not usually very deep, I am usually turning over a top layer to bury weeds and dead leaves. There is a case for rough digging heavy clay soil a bit deeper in the Autumn, the winter weather will break down the clay into something much more friable. More useful generally is a draw hoe, you can chop up weeds and the top inch or two of soil to create a 'tilth', a top layer of loose soil and dead vegetation. This works like a mulch, worms pull things down into the soil from it. it protects the top layer from evaporation in summer, and by coming along with the hoe and moving it weed seeds don't get a chance.
Well, that's the theory .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I can't do 30 square meters of raised beds for patatoes that's why I was digging.
I was thinking il do things like tomatoes, lettuce and peppers in something raised and covere it with a netting.
This year is going to be a mess next year il do better.
It wasn't planned and I'm doing a lot of construction work too.
Il give every method a try and see what works for me what I can learn and get good results with.
Idk the reason I went out digging was because it rained and the ground was soft.
Once again, I'm not challenging your decisions but just throwing out info that you might not be aware of.

Even with potatoes, you don't have to dig. I'm quite new to veg gardening so don't want to present myself as some kind of expert - just sharing what I've learned along the way. Others here can give you more detailed info.

There are all sorts of options - the right one would depend upon your climate. For example, you can just place potatoes on the surface of a lawn then cover them with straw. That would be problematic in my climate due to abundance of slugs. But there may well be a much easier method that would be ideal for you.

There's a type of potato called Sarpo Mira that's bullet proof - resistant to blight, slugs, drought - everything. I'm growing them in a new bed this year. That bed is currently lawn with hard, compacted clay under it. My plan is to just place the seed potatoes on the lawn and cover them with compost, manure and grass clippings through the summer season. Based upon experiences thus far I fully expect it to work. This type of potato is very good at supressing weeds etc. By next season the bed will be good to go for something else.

Here's one example - with results. I'm not saying this will be ideal for you, but just want to make sure you're aware that there are options that don't require digging.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
There's a type of potato called Sarpo Mira that's bullet proof - resistant to blight, slugs, drought - everything. I'm growing them in a new bed this year.

I'll be interested in your results w/Sarpo Mira. They are one of twelve different varieties of potatoes I'm experimenting with this year. Thus far, the Sarpo were the most aggressive coming out of the ground among all the varieties.

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Once again, I'm not challenging your decisions but just throwing out info that you might not be aware of.

Even with potatoes, you don't have to dig. I'm quite new to veg gardening so don't want to present myself as some kind of expert - just sharing what I've learned along the way. Others here can give you more detailed info.

There are all sorts of options - the right one would depend upon your climate. For example, you can just place potatoes on the surface of a lawn then cover them with straw. That would be problematic in my climate due to abundance of slugs. But there may well be a much easier method that would be ideal for you.

There's a type of potato called Sarpo Mira that's bullet proof - resistant to blight, slugs, drought - everything. I'm growing them in a new bed this year. That bed is currently lawn with hard, compacted clay under it. My plan is to just place the seed potatoes on the lawn and cover them with compost, manure and grass clippings through the summer season. Based upon experiences thus far I fully expect it to work. This type of potato is very good at supressing weeds etc. By next season the bed will be good to go for something else.

Here's one example - with results. I'm not saying this will be ideal for you, but just want to make sure you're aware that there are options that don't require digging.
Don't worry and having an argument is fine I did get the patatoes all they had was this.
You have to understand this is a third world country and even if I have the money I'm not going to order them from across the continent.(not confrontational I'm explaining)
Also I planned a Cherry tree and 2 peech trees.
And have an entire hill of grape Vines too trim down.

Attachments

• IMG_20230317_175749.jpg
    IMG_20230317_175749.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I'll be interested in your results w/Sarpo Mira. They are one of twelve different varieties of potatoes I'm experimenting with this year. Thus far, the Sarpo were the most aggressive coming out of the ground among all the varieties.
I won't be planting mine until mid April, but will let you know how they go. Everyone seems to rave about them in the UK.

Ask a Question