11 July 2017 Garden Vegetables

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2017/July%202017/11%20July%202017%20Garden%20Vegetables/HTML/ 11 July 2017 Garden Vegetables
Some garden vegetables were prepared for the evening meal. Four Yukon gold potato plants were dug yielding about four pounds, a few beets about four pounds and a basket of edible pod peas, along with the last Romaine lettuce for a salad. The potatoes were cooked in a Dutch Oven in the stove oven at 400F for an hour. The beets were separated from the green part and boiled in water on top of the stove for on hour. The roots were not cut to prevent bleeding. The tops were steamed separately. About two pounds of peas were steamed. A salad was made from the Romaine lettuce. The combination made a pleasant meal served with butter for four adults and two children. Canned cherry juice was served as for a beverage.
018_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
A feast fit for a king.
My beetroot will be another fortnight yet, I have two batches of lettuce going, Mervaille de quatre saissons, which I'm eating now, and my second batch of Bionda Lenta a Montare, which will be ready in 4-6 weeks.
Start another batch of both beetroot and Little gem lettuces next week, planting the lettuces in shade so they don't run to seed too quickly.

Ask a Question