Unkown Pest on my Chinese Evergreen - Help!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I recently bought this plant it seemed to be fine. I soon realized it seemed a bit droopy and the soil was dry so I assumed it wanted some water. That didn't help though. Some time has passed and I have tried to move it closer to the light (never in direct sun), check the roots, adding humidity, and nothing is working. I then discovered it has these tiny little white dots in the back of the leaves, so I am thinking maybe it is a pest. I haven't watered since that one time and when I checked the roots it was still somewhat moist and absolutely no root rot. I know this isn't mealy bugs because I've dealt with it before, maybe it's powdery mildew? Please help!

Attachments

• IMG_1676.JPG
    IMG_1676.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_1677.JPG
    IMG_1677.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 136
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I recently bought this plant it seemed to be fine. I soon realized it seemed a bit droopy and the soil was dry so I assumed it wanted some water. That didn't help though. Some time has passed and I have tried to move it closer to the light (never in direct sun), check the roots, adding humidity, and nothing is working. I then discovered it has these tiny little white dots in the back of the leaves, so I am thinking maybe it is a pest. I haven't watered since that one time and when I checked the roots it was still somewhat moist and absolutely no root rot. I know this isn't mealy bugs because I've dealt with it before, maybe it's powdery mildew? Please help!
I couldn't tell for sure because the little white dots are so small and I couldn't magnify enough to make a determination. But, being as small as they are I would say they are some species of mite and the organic product for mites is Neem Oil. Neem is a pesticide, miticide and fungicide, all in one product, so whatever it is it will take care of it. And no, it isn't powdery mildew.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Soil mites are harmless to humans and plants and they are very beneficial to the decomposition process that plants need.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Soil mites are harmless to humans and plants and they are very beneficial to the decomposition process that plants need.
You are correct up to a point. Many mites are beneficial. Some help in decomposition and other types are predators. However, none of these damage plants as this particular insect is doing

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck your are right, yes some mites on can and are a real problem. However, I've not had problems with soil mites affecting plants. Out of the four categories of soil mites: Oribatei, Mesostigmata, Prostigmata, and Astigmata. The type of mite you have is Oribatei, or oribatid mites, which have a turtle-like shell and eat algae, fungi, decaying plants, dead insects, and tiny live worms. The only problem with oribatid mites is the numbers of bodies can be scary to someone who doesn't know they are good for the soil.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't mean to over speak you chuck you are right about using the Neem. I just didn't won't planetnewbe to be scared of those critters too much.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I agree with the Neem for mites and other critters but they don't usually cause droopy leaves. The droopiness could be a characteristic of the variety of Dieffenbachia or something else is going on with the roots. When you water it would probably be a good idea to put it in a sink or the bathtub and SOAK it, at least the next time you water it. If the soil is very high in peat moss it can be difficult to get it wet again if it dries out too much. Also, sometimes the growers don't tamp the soil much and water runs right through - this isn't a problem for them because they water almost every day but in your home it might be. If it is very loose you can gently tamp it down or do a short 'drop' to settle the soil more.

Happy plant parenting!

Ask a Question