Is this a pest?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello! I have an indoor star jasmine that has developed yellowing leaves and yellow leaf tips. I am very careful with how I water this plant. Recently I noticed tiny black spots on the underside of the leaves along with these sort of silvery/white patches. They're not sticky or raised.
What in the heck is it?

Attachments

• 2019-10-30-13-47-44-311.jpg
    2019-10-30-13-47-44-311.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 181
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I can't be for sure but it appears that the black spots are insect feces and the silvery patch is where a sucking insect has been feeding. Here in the US I would spray with a spinosad based insecticide but in Canada I don't know what insecticides you have.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've given it two vigorous soaks with a mix of 33 ounces of water and 1/2 teaspoon of dish soap. I sprayed the crap out of it with a 2 day space in between. I do think there may have been a few aphids on the plant. Not many because i spritz it every day. But I haven't found anywhere that aphids leave this kind of foot mark.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've given it two vigorous soaks with a mix of 33 ounces of water and 1/2 teaspoon of dish soap. I sprayed the crap out of it with a 2 day space in between. I do think there may have been a few aphids on the plant. Not many because i spritz it every day. But I haven't found anywhere that aphids leave this kind of foot mark.
Do those black spots wipe off of the plant or smear when rubbed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If they rub off it is insect feces and probably from aphids which are now dead. I would wipe off all of the leaves and keep a close watch on them.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thank you so much! I really appreciate this. And thanks for replying so quickly!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
For the most part that is. There are a few that dont come off.
The one's that don't come off are probably stuck in the tiny hole the insect left while feeding. I bet if you rubbed a little more vigorously they would come off. If it were insect eggs they would all be the same shape and size and when I put the picture under magnification they weren't

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think you had/have thrips. Chuck is right that the black stuff is feces, the silvering is typical of thrips damage. I would use a general houseplant insecticide rather than dish soap- one's for insect control and the other is for dirty dishes. There is a reason you don't find dish soap in the garden section at Home Depot.

Ask a Question